Fall 2021 Dates (Remote Online)
OCM 001: TBA
Time: Every Tuesday and Thursday, 6:10pm to 9:10pm EDT
Online Platform: Webex & Blackboard - Remote
This 8-week certificate program is for those pursuing a career in the new world of retailing. It covers the multiple channels to serve the customer from the many forms of e-commerce to bricks and mortar. The course provides a framework for analysis of business models of emerging and successful practitioners. It includes the new role of merchandising, omni-channel financial measures, customer behavior analysis, omni-commerce success factors, the role of social media, and the growing use of new technologies such as AI and AR. A group research project provides the opportunity to experience how to take a business, your company, and your career to the next level. Learn from highly experienced industry professionals through lecture, panels, discussion, and off-site market tours.
What You Will Learn
- How to measure today's retail landscape to see where true opportunities for brands and business exist
- Why brick and mortar retail and catalogs are not dead
- How to track shopping preferences
- Ecommerce best practices including winners and losers analysis
- The value of data analytics and social media mining, as well as hot new technologies
- The impact of multi channels on merchandising decisions
- In-depth understanding of key retail metrics
- Traffic generating concepts to stimulate brick-and-mortar performance
- The role of logistics in achieving profits and customer satisfaction
- How to make confident decisions in business and in career performance
- Program developed and taught by top retail experts
- Program offers a universal look at modern retailing and combines theory with hands-on applications and market trips
- Information imparted is practical, and currently used in successful businesses
- Program has been developed with career advancement as goal for those who attend
- Earn a certificate from FIT/SUNY, a world-renowned college serving all businesses targeted to fashion
Meet Our Faculty
Certificate facilitator, retail consultant, former retail CFO and merchandising executive, adjunct instructor, Fashion Business Management, FIT.
CFA, principal, Driscoll Advisors; industry analyst focusing on apparel brands, retailers, and luxury goods; fashion business and retail industry columnist.
Brand and experience design solutions expert; adjunct professor, Exhibition and Experience Design.
Christina Lee has 20 years of lifestyle branding and multicultural marketing experience; specializing in brand strategy, development and management for talents and brands in fashion, sports and entertainment. Her expertise is extending brands through strategic and creative development. Christina is currently the principal of thebrandingteam and is an Adjunct Professor for the Fashion Business Management Department at FIT.
CPA, current CFO, major 7th Avenue apparel/retail firm, former GVP Divisional Planning Manager, Macy’s, Audit Manager Deloitte-Trade Retail Practice.
Catherine Mirenda is a Retail Strategist, former Group Vice President for Macy's; Adjunct Professor at the Fashion Institute of Technology; Omni-Channel Retail, Merchant Planning, Store Management & Merchandising.
Consultant, Fashion Retail Omni-Channel Solutions, former ecommerce and web business development executive.
Emerging technologies manager, FIT Division of IT.
Chief digital and omni-channel executive, pioneer in the world of retail digital transformation, including ecommerce, brick and mortar and consumer marketing.
2 sessions: Today’s Retail Landscape Overview: Omni-Channel Business Strategy Rationale
2 sessions: Strategies to Foster Customer Relationships and Enhance Cross Channel Repeat Business
2 sessions: Online Shopping Platforms: Winner, Losers, and Why
1 session: Maximizing Social Media for Customer Intelligence
1 session: Leading Edge Technologies Impacting Retail Performance
2 sessions: Merchandising in an Omni-Channel Structured Business
2 sessions: Financial Performance Indicators and Goals
2 sessions: Maximizing Brick and Mortar to Generate Excitement, Traffic, and Sales
1 session: New Retail Business Models and Customer Expectations
1 session: Program Capstone/Presentations
Center for Continuing and Professional Studies (CCPS)
FIT's CCPS offers credit and noncredit courses in fashion, business, design, computer technology, and marketing, as well as a range of certificate programs to help you enter and advance in the fashion and related industries. With short seminars, multi-session courses, and flexible schedules, you can learn at a time and pace you can manage and afford.