Never try to handle a situation that is potentially dangerous to yourself or others.
Inform Campus Security at (212) 217-7777 about any individuals deemed to be threatening or dangerous.
Eliminate opportunities for violence by:
- alerting Campus Security at (212) 217-7777
- knowing your escape route
- placing a barrier between yourself and the aggressor
- using effective communication skills
- having a second person with you
Reacting to violent situations:
- Maintain eye contact and a positive posture to send out positive signals.
- Do not touch or approach a person who may become violent.
- Keep the person talking as you maintain a controlled, calm demeanor.
- Show concern yet maintain a safe distance; avoid being alone with the person.
If you are the victim of, or are involved in, any on-campus violation of the law such as assault, robbery, theft, overt sexual behavior, etc., do not take any unnecessary risk. Notify Campus Security at (212) 217-7777 as soon as possible and give them the following information:
1. the nature of the incident
2. the location of the incident
3. a description of the person(s) involved
4. a description of the property involved
If you witness a criminal act or notice person(s) acting suspiciously on campus, immediately notify Campus Security at (212) 217-7777.
Assist the police when they arrive by supplying them with any additional information requested.