Current Online Student Resources
Access Your Course
Using a Laptop or Desktop Computer
- Make sure that you are using up-to-date browser such as Firefox, Chrome, or Safari.
- Log in to Brightspace with your FIT username and password. If it has been more than one semester since you have taken a class at FIT your password may have expired. Please contact IT (see below) to have your password reset.
- Look for your course on the Brightspace home page. Note that courses open one week prior to the course start date. If you experience problems logging in to Brightspace, please contact IT for FIT at (212) 217-HELP (4357) or [email protected].
Using a Mobile Device
Brightspace Pulse is a mobile app that can help learners stay connected and on track with their courses in Brightspace Learning Environment. It provides one easy view of course calendars, readings, assignments, evaluations, grades, and announcement items. The app can help learners make better decisions about how to handle workload, when to submit assignments, and when to prepare for tests. Real-time alerts can let learners know when classes are canceled, rooms are moved, or new grades are available. The schedule view and weekly visualization enables learners to quickly at a glance view what is due today, this week, and upcoming across all their courses.
You can find the app by searching for “Brightspace Pulse” in your native app store. When you open the app, you'll be asked for our institution name, which is The Fashion Institute of Technology. Just log in with your FIT username and password.
Please note that the mobile app has limitations and not everything in your course will appear in the app. It's important to regularly log in to your course on your computer to make sure you do not miss any content that cannot be displayed in the app.
Strategies for Success
An online student, you must be more self-directed, manage your time efficiently, and assume greater responsibility for your own learning. Here are a few tips to help:
- Online courses are asynchronous. You will not be required to log in at a specific time, but you will need to follow the semester schedule and course due dates.
- Log in Early: Online courses open one week before the start of the semester, so it’s a great idea to visit the course early and find out what’s required. To access your course, log in to Brightspace with your FIT username and password.
- Read Course Requirements: At the start of the course, fully familiarize yourself with the syllabus, deadlines, and related course policy documents such as attendance, grading, required reading, and supplemental learning materials. Just as every face-to-face course has a unique course plan, so does every online course.
- Participate: Log in to your course daily and engage with the course frequently to make the most of your experience.
- Pace Yourself: Schedule time each day to complete your coursework, and stay aware of deadlines.
- Check Your FIT Email: Regularly check your FIT email for course announcements or assignment notifications and check with your instructor on your overall progress.
- You must log in to Brightspace to reply to emails. Emails coming from Brightspace are only a notification and cannot be replied to directly from your FIT email. All Brightspace emails are sent from a "Do not reply" email address and each email has a footer that states “This is a notification that you have received a message in Brightspace. Please log into Brightspace to reply to this message. A reply to this message from outside of Brightspace will not be received.” It is best for all communications between you and your professor to take place inside the Brightspace course.
- Keep Your Username and Password Secure: Always remember to log out, especially if you are using a public computer. Most importantly, do not share your username and password with anyone.
- Ask for Help: If you need help with the course material, email your instructor from within Brightspace. If you need help using Brightspace, call the SUNY Online Support Services Help Desk (open 7 days per week) at 1-844-673-6786 during the following hours: Monday - Friday 7:00AM-12:00AM Midnight EST Saturday 10:00AM-8:00PM EST Sunday 10:00AM-9:00PM EST. You can also email SUNY Online at [email protected].