Current Online Student Resources
Access Your Course
Using a Laptop or Desktop Computer
- Make sure that you are using up-to-date browser such as Firefox, Chrome, or Safari.
- Log in to Blackboard with your FIT username and password. If it has been more than one semester since you have taken a class at FIT your password may have expired. Please contact IT (see below) to have your password reset.
- Look for your course on the Blackboard home page. Note that courses open one week prior to the course start date. If you experience problems logging in to Blackboard, please contact IT for FIT at (212) 217-HELP (4357) or [email protected].
Using a Mobile Device
The Blackboard app is available for all Blackboard users on iOS (Apple) and Android devices. You can use the Blackboard app from anywhere, on any carrier or network, to check in on your Blackboard course. You can view and submit assignments, check your grades, participate in discussions, join Blackboard Collaborate sessions, and more.
You can find the app by searching for “Blackboard” in your native app store. When you open the app, you'll be asked for our institution name, which is The Fashion Institute of Technology. Just log in with your FIT username and password. Thanks to a SUNY agreement, this app is FREE.
Please note that the mobile app has limitations and not everything in your course will appear in the app. It's important to regularly log in to your course on your computer to make sure you do not miss any content that cannot be displayed in the app.
Strategies for Success
As an online student, you must be more self-directed, manage your time efficiently, and assume greater responsibility for your own learning. Here are a few tips to help:
- Log in Early: Online courses open one week before the start of the semester, so it’s a great idea to visit the course early and find out what’s required. To access your course, log in to Blackboard with your FIT username and password.
- Read Course Requirements: At the start of the course, fully familiarize yourself with the syllabus, deadlines, and related course policy documents such as attendance, grading, required reading, and supplemental learning materials. Just as every face-to-face course has a unique course plan, so does every online course.
- Participate: Log in to your course daily and engage with the course frequently to make the most of your experience.
- Pace Yourself: Schedule time each day to complete your coursework, and stay aware of deadlines.
- Check Your FIT Email: Regularly check your FIT email for course announcements or assignment notifications and check with your instructor on your overall progress.
- Keep Your Username and Password Secure: Always remember to log out, especially if you are using a public computer. Most importantly, do not share your username and password with anyone.
- Ask for Help: If you need help with the course material, email your instructor from within Blackboard. If you need help using Blackboard, call the SUNY Online Support Services Help Desk (open 7 days per week) at 1-844-673-6786 during the following hours: Monday - Friday 7:00AM-12:00AM Midnight EST Saturday 10:00AM-8:00PM EST Sunday 10:00AM-9:00PM EST. You can also email SUNY Online at [email protected]