Because of the rapidly changing information about Coronavirus (COVID-19), we have made the difficult decision to cancel all prospective student information sessions, events, and campus tours until further notice.
Online content is on the way.
At this time, the Admissions Office will not be conducting face to face business. However, the Admissions Team is working remotely and we are available to assist you. We kindly ask that you deliver your time sensitive messages by email and one of our staff members will get back to you as soon as possible.
If your student is a current applicant or FIT student, please email [email protected].
If your student is a prospective applicant seeking more information, please email [email protected].
Helping students find the right college is an important job. At the Fashion Institute of Technology, we appreciate the role you play in preparing students for success. Our goal is to provide you with information to assist your students as they begin the important college search process. Offering more than 40 degree programs – there is a great deal to consider at FIT. Some unique items to note include:
- Students apply to their specific program of interest when completing the application.
- High school applicants apply to an AAS degree before moving onto a two year BS or BFA degree.
- Transfer students may be eligible for a 1-year accelerated AAS degree or a 2-year BS or BFA degree. The admissions committee will review the applicant for the highest degree of eligibility.
- Art and Design applicants are required to submit a portfolio of artwork specific to their chosen major.
Preparing the FIT-bound student
Middle School and High School Students:
- Explore! FIT Precollege classes, offered during summer and on weekends throughout the year, help students to explore their interests and talents and develop technical skills. Check out High School and Middle School Classes.
- Investigate! The FIT Web site is an in-depth resource that enables you to review all of our majors and select the one that's right for you. Check out FIT for You.
- Visit! Admissions information sessions and campus tours are held several times a week throughout the year. We welcome individuals and families as well as class groups, check out Visit FIT to schedule a convenient date.
High School Seniors and Transfer Students:
- Attend Fall Open House! This is an opportunity to meet faculty and current students, learn about campus life, check out housing and much, much more. Registration for Open House is available online in September.
- Get feedback before applying! If you're interested in an art and design major, consider attending a National Portfolio Day (NPD). These events provide an opportunity for students to receive feedback on their artwork from a number of art and design schools. All students are welcome and the events are free. To view upcoming NPD events that FIT will be attending, visit Connect with FIT at National Portfolio Days.
- Apply to FIT! We use the State University of New York (SUNY) application, interested students can access this through the FIT apply page or the SUNY website.
Application Requirements and Deadlines
- SUNY Application
- Official High School and College transcript(s)
FIT will accept electronic transcripts sent from the following approved vendors:
- Naviance by Hobsons
- SUNY Counselor Connect
- Credential Solutions
- Online Admissions Essay
- Portfolio (Art and Design applicants only)
See a full description of application requirements by visiting How to Apply.
- Fall applicants: January 1
- Spring applicants: October 1
Commonly Asked Questions
What does FIT look for in an applicant?
Applicants to FIT are selected for admission based on a review of the whole application. In general, successful applicants present a strong B average or better. The admissions committee considers the rigor of curriculum, overall GPA, and specific class grades. The essay is also an important component; it demonstrates communication skills and interest in your chosen major. If you are applying to an art and design major, a successful portfolio will demonstrate any specified technical skills, as well as creative potential.
What financial aid and scholarships does FIT offer?
Over 70% of FIT students are awarded financial aid. These are available from a variety of sources including scholarships, grants, federal loans, and work study. File the Free Application for Financial Aid (FAFSA) by February 15 to be considered for financial aid. Once admitted to your major, you will have access to department scholarships and competitions with awards ranging from a few hundred to several thousand dollars. Because these are awarded through the departments and lead by the industry, they also serve as great resume builders. While new FIT applicants do not apply for merit scholarships, we welcome outside awards you may have received. Check out the financial aid website for more information.
Does FIT accept letters of recommendation?
Letters of recommendation are not considered in the admissions process.
Is there anything an applicant can do to increase the chance of admission?
In order to ensure you are given every consideration, it is important to meet the application and supplemental materials deadlines (see When to Apply). You should also monitor your application status through MyFIT to ensure all supplemental materials have been received. It is a selective admissions process and the admissions committee reviews the entire applicant pool to select the best candidates for our incoming class.
If I attend another school prior to applying to FIT, what classes will transfer?
We recommend taking liberal arts courses if you will be attending another institution prior to FIT. Classes completed with a C grade or higher can be considered for transfer. For information on specific liberal arts and SUNY general education requirements, visit Transfer Students.
Stay In Touch!
We welcome your visit to the FIT campus and also aspire to visit you! Our admissions team attends high school and college fairs throughout the year. Feel free to send us a message or let us know where we can connect with you and your students at [email protected]. Upcoming events that we will be attending are regularly updated at Connect with FIT on the Road. See you soon!