FIT in Milan
The FIT Fashion Design program in Milan offers FIT students the option to study in Italy, absorbing a distinctive cultural perspective while preparing for a career without global boundaries.
Classes are taught in English at Politecnico di Milano (PoliMi).
- Course Information
- Academic Calendar
- Study Visa
- Health Insurance
- Program Budget
- Application, Instructions and Preparations
Approvals on an ongoing basis until February 1* (Year prior to study): Academic Year/Fall only
Approvals on an ongoing basis until September 26* (Year prior to study): Spring (6th semester only)
*Early applicants receive preference.
- Minimum 3.0 GPA
- Matriculation in a Bachelor's degree program
- Fashion Design students must obtain academic advisement and the approval of the Department International Coordinator. Students are eligible to during their 5th (all specializations) or 6th semesters, full 3rd Year, or 7th semester. Only Knitwear and Sportswear specializations are available after the 5th semester.
- You must complete one semester of Italian. All students must have completed Italian 1 by the semester prior to the program start date.
- You must submit a portfolio. Portfolios should include both fashion artwork and actual garments from Fashion Art and Apparel classes. Further instructions will be specified once the online application is submitted.
Students must maintain a full-time semester credit load of 12 credits or more during their program.
Students are generally expected to arrive the day before orientation begins. Please note that field trip dates are yet to be confirmed. A finalized schedule will be posted when it becomes available.
Students are responsible for making their own accommodation arrangements for the duration of their stay. FIT in Milan offers the following housing options for students: Politecnico di Milano Residence Halls or Camplus Gorla apartments.
You will be required to apply for a Study Visa for the duration of your stay in Italy. You should carefully review the Study Visa requirements. Supporting documentation will be provided after approval.
FIT requires all students to be covered in the U.S. and internationally for the duration of their study abroad program. Two types of coverage are required:
- FIT requires students to be covered abroad for the duration of their program. This
policy is mandatory, therefore students cannot waive it.
Coverage Abroad: UHC Study Abroad Insurance Students will be enrolled and account will be billed before start of program. More detailed information about coverage and claims processes will be provided post-approval.
- FIT requires students to be covered in the U.S. for the duration of their program.
Students may waive the Haylor insurance using the standard waiver process if they
already have a U.S. based insurance policy with equal or better coverage.
Coverage in the U. S.: Haylor Health Insurance
A copy of this form may be taken to Financial Aid Services for a careful review of your program costs may be completed by an assigned financial aid counselor.
See the Scholarships and Financial Aid page.