How to get started with a minor
Students at FIT have the opportunity to pursue an academic minor, a selection of courses focused on a particular discipline or a combination of disciplines. This provides a more cohesive program of study and a deeper understanding of the chosen fields.
Visit the Academic Advisement Center in room C402 to declare a minor and create the best plan of action for completing the required coursework. Questions about enrollment and schedules should be discussed with your academic advisor.
Questions about specific courses and their content should be directed toward the Minor Coordinators in the Departments
- Completion of one (1) course before minor declaration
- Declare a minor in the bachelor degree program, unless in the process of completing all 5 minor course requirements in the AAS
- Students must complete (5) courses as outlined in the minor (which the majority of the time adds up to 15 course credits)
- Transfer students can transfer up to six (6) credits for any academic minor
- There is a limit of 3 minors per undergraduate degree
- Must complete 3/5 distinct unique courses per minor (This means 2/5 courses can overlap with courses in another minor or courses required in the major area, related area or liberal arts.)
- Upon successful completion of the selected course credits with a 2.0 or higher GPA (2.5 or higher is required for Creative Technology), your minor will be recorded on your transcript.
Online Minors Options - there are several Academic Minors which can be completed entirely online through a specific set of courses.
Visit the undergraduate courses and departments page of the online catalog for course descriptions, prerequisite requirements, and SUNY General Education designations. Please note: academic minor requirements are subject to change.
Minor must be completed by the time you graduate.