Unity XR: AR, MR, VR Development Certificate Program
Elevate your career to a new dimension
Fall 2022 Dates (TBA)
UXR 001: TBA
Time: Every Tuesday and Thursday, 6:00pm to 8:00pm EDT
Online Platform: Webex
The rapid development in virtual reality (VR) and augmented reality (AR) technologies, commonly referred to as XR, has fundamentally changed the media, gaming and engineering industry in recent years.
FIT’s Unity XR Certificate program is a 10-week training course designed for creative professionals who have little or no previous experience in XR but are interested in how to bring their ideas onto these new platforms. This program is a comprehensive introduction to developing XR applications using Unity and the C# programming language. Students will create 4 Native virtual reality applications that will be deployed to mobile devices and Oculus Quest headsets. The class will include demos of XR devices such as the Microsoft Hololens, Magic Leap and Lenovo Mirage.
This program is a Synchronous and Collaborative Remote Experiential Learning™ (SCREL™) Certificate Program. Unlike traditional distance and online learning models, SCREL enables real-time interactions between faculty, industry professionals. In addition, our intimate maximum class size of 14 students will enable in-depth discussions and exchange of ideas to maximize your learning experience and results.
- To check if your laptop supports the minimum requirements
- A consistently reliable internet with at least 1.5mbps internet speed and the latest Chrome browser
- Speakers or headphones to hear instructors during live meetings, and a microphone to participate—a webcam is recommended
*If you think you are eligible for the 10% Alumni Discount, please complete the Alumni Verification Form prior to registration in order to receive your discount code.
Learn How To
- Review case studies and get a VR/AR industry overview
- Understand user experience for VR and development environments
- Create primary virtual environments in Unity
- Utilize computer programming basics using the C# language
- Create an interactive VR game with A-Frame
- Create an augmented reality art gallery with Unity and Vuforia
- Classes taught by top industry experts
- Advanced pedagogy balancing practical knowledge and creative principles
- Curriculum is designed to help you prepare a high-quality portfolio showreel
- Curriculum Designed by FIT's Creative Technology & Design (CT&D) subject area which is a leader in digital design education
- Earn a certificate from FIT, a world-renowned design school
Meet Your Instructors
Trish Gianakis is a professional art director, user experience/interface designer for 20 plus years specializing in designing websites and digital marketing for the entertainment industry working with companies such as: Major League Baseball, AMC TV and artist Elton John and Queen Latifah. With a Masters Degree in Computer Art from the School Of Visual Arts, she was an early adopter of Virtual Reality and began experimenting with VR, creating immersive experiences with her art installations. For the last two years she has been teaching as a professor at Saint Peter's University in the fine Arts Department, teaching augmented reality, user experience design, web design, animation, and worked with students on the Pavan print publication. Trish’s commitment to education and staying current with technology is a necessary challenge that she wishes to help students understand and learn for their future careers.
FIT’s SCREL programs were developed by award-winning faculty members from FIT’s Creative Technology & Design (CT&D) subject area and Center for Continuing and Professional Studies (CCPS). It provides a hands-on learning experience that simulates the workflow of online collaboration and global teamwork, which is becoming a standard in the contemporary creative industry.
Synchronous: Real-time remote lectures, demonstrations, and discussions for instant feedback and dynamic exchange of ideas.
Collaborative: Adaptation of industry-standard tools that enable real-time online collaboration and teamwork.
Experiential: Hands-on experiential and project-based learning in which students actively explore real-world problems and challenges and acquire a deeper understanding of the subject.
- VR/AR industry overview and case studies
- This section gives the students and understanding of the growing applications of XR technologies and help them guide them into possible professional development paths
- User Experience for VR and Development Environments
- This lecture will give the students an overview of the tools and concepts necessary to create VR experiences for Oculus using Unity
- Introduction to Creating Full Virtual Environments in Unity
- This hands-on lecture will show students how to install and create a basic VR experience and get an introduction to the C# programming language
- Create an interactive VR game with A-Frame
- This class students will create a game using physics libraries as well as more advanced programming concepts
- Creating an Augmented Reality Art Gallery with Unity and Vuforia
- This class will use Vuforia, an Augmented Reality plugin for Unity to create an interactive poster. This project will be exported to iPhone and Android phones
Center for Continuing and Professional Studies (CCPS)
FIT's CCPS offers credit and noncredit certificates and courses in fashion, business, design, technology, and marketing, to help you enter into or advance your career in the fashion and related industries. With short programs and flexible schedules, you can learn at a time and pace you can manage and afford.
Creative Technology & Design (CT&D)
The CT&D program area was founded with a mission to elevate students’ understanding of advanced design concepts as well as their command of cutting-edge technology, CT&D at FIT provides a flexible curriculum and an empowering transdisciplinary learning environment. Our pedagogical goal is to nurture the next generation of creative technologists who will design digital products, platforms, and creative solutions that improve people’s lives.
CT&D Advisory Board
C.J. Yeh, Program Director, Founder / Creative Director, Cynda Media Lab
Christie Shin, Program Coordinator, Partner / Design Director, Cynda Media Lab
Paul Kim, Vice President of Strategy, North America HQ at Samsung Electronics
Allison Ceraso, President and Chief Experience Officer, Havas Health Plus
Marcin Ramocki, Chairman, MFA in Media Arts, New Jersey City University
Akiko Rokube, Creative Director, PwC Experience Center
Jennifer Bruno, Director of Product, Fusion Media Group
Ben Morejon, Creative Director, Anomaly
Emily Frost, Manager of Brand Creative, Faherty Brand