Hong Kong Seminar
The Hong Kong/Mainland China seminar takes place at the beginning of November in the third and final semester of the program at partner institution Hong Kong Polytechnic University. The focus is on supply chain and production, featuring executives from major weaving, knitting, and production factories, as well as trading companies such as Li & Fung. In addition, the Mainland China segment of the seminar includes visits to vertical production and/or denim factories.
The Hong Kong seminar features executives from the world’s largest supply chain and production companies, consultants and specialists on Chinese consumer demand, and retail overview. Lectures take place on the campus of Hong Kong Polytechnic University in Kowloon. The Mainland China portion of the seminar takes place in Shenzhen or Guangzhou, at the headquarters of various companies.
» Hong Kong Seminar Lecture Photos
Recent seminars have included the following themes and lectures, among many others:
- Dr. John Cheh, Vice Chairman and CEO, Esquel Group: Striving for Harmony with Resources
- Dr. Gordon Yen, Honorary Chairman, Hong Kong General Chamber of Textiles: Technology in Fashion
- Edwin Keh, CEO, Hong Kong Research Institute of Textiles and Apparel: The Innovative Chinese Company
- Craig Dana, SVP, Supply Chain Asia, Tory Burch: Supply Chain Overview of Tory Burch in Asia
- Anson Bailey, Partner, Business Development, KPMG China: The Connected Consumer
- Anthony Keung, President and CEO, Fenix Group Holdings Ltd: Opportunities in the Chinese Fashion Industry
- Christina Ventura, Founder of Luxarity, Chief Catalyst Officer of the Lane Crawford Joyce Group: A presentation on fashion incubator The Cage
- Professor Xiaoming Tao, Chair of Textile Technology at HKPolyU: Smart Textiles and their Applications
- Sean Coxall, President, Authentic Brands Sourcing: Speed and Technology in the Future Supply Chain
- Sean Looram, EVP, LF Sourcing: The Sourcing Landscape and Changing Face of Retail
Among the most popular segments of the seminar, site visits provide a close-up and personal perspective on retail entrepreneurs, cultural institutions, and product concepts indigenous to the region. In Hong Kong/China, site visits may include innovative design spaces and/or high-profile e-commerce companies. The selection of site visits in all cities changes each year to reflect the current regional business environment.
» Hong Kong Seminar Site Visit Photos
Recent Hong Kong Seminar site visits have included:
- Visits to manufacturing facilities: Esquel and Advance Denim Ltd in Foshan, China; and Co-Wear International Ltd in Hong Kong
- Showrooms: Tangy Silk Garden, and Exception Studio in Guangzhou, China; Hidy NG in Hong Kong
- E-commerce: Headquarters of Vip.com in Guangzhou, China
GFM students from FIT, HKPU, and IFM – who represent a broad range of countries, cultures, and industry specialties – collaborate through teams to arrive at recommendations and strategies for case studies, or a creative solution to an innovation assignment. Presentations are delivered on the final day of the seminar to an audience of judges from faculty and industry.
» Hong Kong Seminar Case Study Photos
Former Hong Kong Seminar case studies have included: Growth and Strategy Recommendations for Brands and Companies: Li Lian International Ltd., Uuushooop, YKK, Airland Group, and Hidy NG
Program participants have the opportunity to participate in a professional network with global reach. All three seminars include social events to reestablish existing contacts and to build rapport among new colleagues, guest speakers, faculty, and alumni.
» Hong Kong Seminar Networking Photos
For general admissions questions, please contact the School of Graduate Studies.