Welcome: Library Services for Fall 2022
Welcome from Professor Greta K. Earnest, Director, FIT Library
Welcome to the FIT Library!
Every activity undertaken at this library nurtures the FIT community by providing physical and virtual user-centered resources, services, and research assistance. We help students flourish by supporting innovation and by building the information literacy skills they’ll need to achieve success throughout the academic journey and after graduation.
Beyond the academic support available at the FIT Library, our team produces events and creates resources which display and celebrate the creativity and diversity of our community. Our programs offer industry-related insight into all FIT disciplines. We provide extensive support to faculty, while welcoming various local and international researchers throughout the academic year. Our dedicated personnel are on hand to help with any of your library needs.
The library’s website offers comprehensive information about the resources and services we present. Can’t find the information you’re looking for? Just Ask the Library!
What's New : Fall 2022 Semester
In-person services are available but may change or cease at any time, dependent on college administration directives based on SUNY, state, and city mandates. Additional information and updates will be shared through the library’s regular communication channels which include the FIT website, emails, newsletters, and social media platforms.
Please continue to refer to the college’s COVID-19 Information website for information about classes, campus events, health updates, and preventative measures.
Now located on the 5th floor of the Goodman Resource Center in the main Reading Room, the Library Services Desk offers:
- Information and research help for students, staff, and faculty
- print course reserves & digital reserves
- equipment borrowing
- and more
Our new browsing wall, (opposite the Library Services Desk) features the latest issues of many of your favorite magazines. Peep, Don’t Keep!
The complete Periodicals collection featuring even more current magazines, plus back issues are located on the 4th floor in E409.
The Library expects to be closed to outside researchers (including alumni) through the 2022/2023 academic year. Current SUNY students, staff, and faculty may access the Library. Members of the SUNY community must present a current SUNY ID to the Public Safety officer in the Goodman lobby to visit the Library. Please refer to our Visit the Library page for more information.
Continuing Library Services
The FIT Library can provide in-person library instruction, or research content for online or hybrid course use. The Services for Faculty page details the available options including:
- Synchronous (live) or asynchronous online instructional session, ready-made video tutorials, customized tutorials, or a research guide for your class. Use the Library Instruction Request Form to place your request.
- Add a librarian to your Blackboard course shell to participate in discussions or build library-related content of your choosing - contact your Library Liaison
- Assistance on questions about copyright, Fair Use, and related topics as you plan your course as well as access to the Fair Use Evaluator; email Carli Spina ([email protected]) for personalized assistance.
- Access or create a wide array of Open Educational Resources (OER) that can easily be integrated into your Blackboard course. Check out our guide or email Helen Lane ([email protected]) for more information.
- Contact your Library Liaison to inquire about any other online course or research support.
Patrons can request books not available at FIT through Interlibrary Loan (ILL)
- We accept physical item requests and article/book chapter requests from the current FIT students, faculty, and staff. However, we are unable to accept e-book requests.
- Article/book chapter requests are usually filled within 3 business days, but may take longer.
- Physical items usually take a week to arrive, but shipping delays may occur.
- Requested Interlibrary Loan items can be picked up at the Library Services Desk.
- Please refer to our FAQ for more information on how to request articles.
- For questions about ILL email the Interlibrary Loan unit.
For other questions not addressed here, please contact us:
- Research Help: Ask the Library
- Instructional Services: Instruction Request Form
- Library Accounts and Circulation: [email protected]
- Collection requests: Purchase Request Form
- Interlibrary Loan: [email protected]
- Special Collections & College Archives (SPARC): [email protected]
last updated 9/21/22