Apply for Financial Aid
FIT, like most colleges and universities, uses a common application process:
Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
Both student and parent/guardian will need an FSA ID number and their latest income tax information. Details are below.
You must reapply each academic year to establish eligibility for consideration for financial awards. You should adhere to our filing deadlines for priority consideration.
Academic Year 2023-2024
January 15, 2023: priority deadline for
Applications received after the deadline will be considered for whatever aid is available at the time the financial aid application is reviewed.
FIT FAFSA Code: 002866
New York State - FIT TAP Codes:
BA/BFA/BS - 0975
This step should be done only the first time you apply for aid.
Before you begin the FAFSA application, both the student and the parent will need to create an FSA ID. While you can get your FSA ID as you are completing your FAFSA, we recommend getting it ahead of time to start your FAFSA application and cut down on errors and delays.
Your FSA ID is a username and password combination that will give you access to the Federal Student Aid online systems and will serve as your legal signature when completing your FAFSA.
The FSA ID Process consists of three main steps:
1. Enter your log in information.
2. Enter your personal information.
- Provide answers to five challenge questions.
- Include your mailing address, email address, telephone number, and language preference.
- Provide your Social Security number, name, and date of birth. When you create your FSA ID, be careful to enter your name and Social Security number exactly as they appear on your Social Security card.
3. Submit your FSA ID information.
- Agree to the terms and conditions.
- Verify your email address.
(Note: By verifying your email address, you can use your email address as your username when logging into certain U.S. Department of Education websites.)
Additionally your FSA ID will allow you to:
- use the IRS DRT (data retrieval tool)
- sign your master promissory note (MPN)
- completing your loan counseling
- applying for loan repayment plans
If you forget your FSA ID user name or password:
Important: Only the owner of the FSA ID should create and use the account. Never share your FSA ID.
Both you and your parent, if you are dependent, should have applied for an FSA ID which will be used to sign your FAFSA online and will allow you to log in to certain U.S. Department of Education websites.
Gather your application documents. The FAFSA will ask for information about you (your name, date of birth, address, etc.) and about your financial situation. You will need the following items:
- your social security number (be sure to enter it correctly on the FAFSA form)
- Your parents’ Social Security numbers if you are a dependent student.
- Your driver’s license number if you have one
- Your Alien Registration number if you are not a U.S. citizen
- Federal tax information or tax returns including IRS W-2 information, for you (and your spouse, if you are married), and for your parents if you are a dependent student: IRS 1040
- Foreign tax return, IRS 1040NR, or IRS 1040NR-EZ
- Tax return for Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, the U.S. Virgin Islands, the Marshall Islands, the Federated States of Micronesia, or Republic of Palau.
- FIT's federal code - 002866
Records of your untaxed income, such as child support received, interest income, and veterans noneducation benefits, for you, and for your parents if you are a dependent student
Information on cash; savings and checking account balances; investments, including stocks and bonds and real estate (but not including the home in which you live); and business and farm assets for you, and for your parents if you are a dependent student.
We urge you to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) when completing your FAFSA.
FIT FAFSA Code: 002866
The easiest way to apply for TAP is through the FAFSA. Make sure you have completed your FAFSA. New York State (NYS) residents attending NYS schools can link directly to the TAP application from the FAFSA submission confirmation page.
If you exit the FAFSA before you complete the TAP application, but your FAFSA includes your New York State address and college, NYS Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC) will automatically receive your information.
HESC will then send you an email or postcard with directions for you to complete the TAP application online.
FIT's New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) Codes are:
- Fashion Inst of Tech Lower Division (all Associate Degree students) - 2070
- Fashion Inst of Tech Upper Division (all Bachelors Degree students) - 0975
You will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) from the federal processor. This form should be reviewed to make sure the information is correct.
You can make corrections online. If you haven't already done so, use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) to upload and correct all income information.
Financial Aid Services will request documents and/or other information from you via mail and email. Please respond immediately to all requests to avoid delays. If you do not to respons to requests for information, your file will be made inactive and we will be unable to process your application until the documents are submitted.
You may check your financial aid status and see any document requirements in the FIT portal MyFIT. Log in and view the Financial Aid Resources section. See instructions on how to view your messages and any other financial aid requirements.
You may be required to provide copies of tax returns for yourself and/or your parents, in addition to other income documentation. There may also be forms to fill out and return to Financial Aid Services.
You may view your requirements, download documents, and read any messages regarding your application at any time by logging in to MyFIT and completing the following steps.
- Go to your FIT Applicant or Student Tab
- Go to the Financial Aid Resources section
- Go to My Financial Aid Checklist
- Click on Award By Aid Year
- On the drop down menu, select the appropriate academic year
- Go to the Financial Aid Requirements section and
- Go to item number 2, click on Outstanding Documentation
- If you need help uploading required financial aid documents, review instructions here: Uploading Financial Aid Documents
For more information or questions you may contact Financial Aid Services at (212) 217-3560.
If you were awarded for the academic year, your aid will be displayed in MyFIT with an option for you to accept or decline these awards in order for them to become available to you.
myStudentAid Mobile App
The U.S. Department of Education has created a student financial aid app for iOS and Android.
You can use the mobile app to access your personalized dashboard that summarizes your federal aid, highlights any upcoming loan payments, and provides relevant content and checklists to help you navigate your federal student aid journey.