Data Custodianship and Access
Policy No: IT013
This policy defines theguidelines for the security, confidentiality, and use of data maintained by the Fashion Institute of Technology ("the college" or "FIT"), both in paper and electronic form. This policy also informs each person who is entrusted to access student, employee, and/or institutional data of their responsibilities with regard to confidentiality, privacy of eligible student records, safeguarding and use of FIT data.
The purpose of this policy is to provide users with data governance guidance in order to protect institutional data from unauthorize use, including but not limited to acquisition, access, disclosure, retention, and disposal. This policy puts forth best practices in data management custodianship and access and clarifies the roles and responsibilities of various stakeholders in the college. The goal is to streamline the efforts of the entire community as they seek to access and utlize institutional data.
Who is Affected by this Policy
- All members of the FIT community (faculty, administrators, staff)
- Anyone at the college who is granted access to data
- Responsible Administrator(s): Vice President and CIO for Information Technology; Assistant Dean for Institutional Research and Effectiveness
- Responsible Office(s): Office of Information Technology; Office of Institutional Research and Effectiveness
- Implementation History: Issued March 2015
- Contact(s): Vice President and CIO for Information Technology; Assistant Dean for Institutional Research and Effectiveness
View Official Policy
IT013, Data Custodianship and Access (.pdf)
*This PDF document is the official version of this policy.