Prepare to Study Abroad

Students studying abroad may need to apply for a tourist or student visa. Different countries have different entry and exit requirements and required documentation.  

» Consulates and Visas

Additionally, there are a number of websites that can provide valuable information for students and foreign visitors.

» Travel Resources

» Power of Attorney Form

FIT requires all students participating in an FIT International program to have U.S.-based health insurance plus international insurance including accident, emergency medical evacuation, and repatriation of remains coverage. Two types of coverage are required:

1. FIT requires students to be covered abroad for the duration of their program. This policy is mandatory, therefore students cannot waive it.

  • Coverage abroad: United Healthcare - Student Resources Study Abroad Insurance
    *Students will be enrolled and account will be billed before start of program. More detailed information about coverage and claims processes will be provided post-approval.

2. FIT requires students to be covered in the U.S. for the duration of their program. Students may waive the Haylor insurance using the standard waiver process if they already have a U.S. based insurance policy with equal or better coverage.


  • Each country may require additional health insurance. Contact the OIP for more information.
  • Personal health insurance policies must provide coverage for the entire duration of your time abroad.
  • Please remember that all health-related services abroad must be paid for at the time of service and are often reimbursed afterwards by your insurance provider.