Contemporary Rug Design Certificate
Expand your design skills and produce handmade rugs
Many designers crave the necessary skills to create sensible designs for handmade luxury rugs for both residential and hospitality projects. Eliminating the guesswork is essential to prevent the wasting of resources with unproducible designs. This certificate infuses the creative thinker with invaluable information to align with the talent of willing artisans. This immersive, fast track, certificate focuses on an in-depth understanding of the common fibers, scale, and terminology used in handmade rugs. Students will create, develop and specify for their own contemporary rug collection using simple sketching and painting techniques as well as advanced digital applications. Responsible sourcing with attention to sustainable practices will be discussed. The certificate includes an introduction to Galaincha, a grid specific software used widely by producers of handmade rugs. Remote visits to rug galleries and conversations with professionals in the field included.
This certificate is the solution for interior designers, textile designers, home fashion product developers, artists and illustrators who desire an advanced understanding of the design and production of handmade rugs.
- Some computer familiarity is ideal
*If you think you are eligible for the 10% Alumni Discount, please complete the Alumni Verification Form prior to registration in order to receive your discount code.
Learn How To
- Identify handmade rug qualities with a focus on contemporary design
- Specify surface techniques for production
- Use and become familiar with rug terminology
- Design a professional template for a rug in scale
- Develop a palette for collection success
- Become familiar with grid specific software and its importance in the rug industry
- Gain optional access to grid specific software outside the classroom / Galaincha from Alternative Technologies
- Sharpen your sourcing skills through on site visits to showrooms and studios
- Program developed and taught by professional rug design expert
- Earn a certificate from FIT/SUNY, a world renowned college of art and design, business and technology
Meet Your Instructor
Rug Designer with 30+ years of design experience; Certified Color Specialist; Certified Green Accredited Professional SFC; Textile Surface Design, Adjunct Assistant Professor; Lead Instructor, CCPS Color Certificate; Owner, The Rug Designer’s Studio, a division of DLHernandez INC
Center for Continuing and Professional Studies (CCPS)
FIT's CCPS offers credit and noncredit certificates and courses in fashion, business, design, technology, and marketing, to help you enter into or advance your career in the fashion and related industries. With short programs and flexible schedules, you can learn at a time and pace you can manage and afford.