Research & Instructional Services
Research and Instructional Services (RIS) faculty and staff help FIT students, faculty,
staff, and administration with their information and research needs.
The Research Services Desk is located on the 4th floor and is staffed by Library faculty and/or Reference Assistants. We
- assist library users in finding materials and offer guidance for in-depth research projects
- answer reference questions in-person, online, or by phone
- assist in the use of OneSearch (the Library catalog), our databases and other online resources, periodical indexes, books and other printed material
- locate books and periodicals that are not in our collections and refer patrons to other libraries
- assist faculty, upon request, by reviewing research assignments in advance for appropriate, accurate references to library resources
FIT faculty may request library instructional sessions : librarian-led or self-conducted.
The librarian-led instruction sessions can provide:
- general orientation the library
- assignment-specific research tools & techniques
- research and information literacy skills
For self-conducted instruction, we will reserve an area (including the forecast section)
in the Library for you to show your students printed materials including forecasting
services, periodicals (magazines and journals), and/or books on a specific topic.
We cannot reserve library computer classrooms for self-conducted classes.