When are payments for tuition and other fees due?

See: Billing and Payment

How can I pay my bill?  Do you take checks or credit cards?

See:  Billing and Payment

Will my bill come in the mail?    

No, FIT no longer sends bills or student account statements by mail. When your statement is ready for viewing, you will receive notification in your FIT email account. Please check your FIT email often for important messages. 

See:  Billing and Payment

I can't afford to pay my whole bill.  Can I make payments?

FIT has a payment plan for full-time/matriculated students for the fall and spring semesters.  It is not available for winter or summer sessions.

See: Payment Plans

I was awarded financial aid.  Do I have to pay my tuition in full?

The Bursar's Office will defer payment for the amount of anticipated/authorized financial aid. The award must be approved and reflected on your financial records. Anticipated/authorized financial aid is estimated and does not reflect actual payments until those funds are received by the college from all sources. If award(s) are canceled or reduced, the student will be responsible for payment of any outstanding balance due to the college. Check your online account often.

See:  Financial Aid 

I was awarded federal work-study.  Can I defer this amount from my tuition bill?

No, these funds may not be used to defer tuition or dormitory fees. Federal work-study involves taking a job within the college. You will receive compensation in the form of a check for any hours worked during the semester.

I was notified by Financial Aid that I have a Federal Direct Stafford Loan, but the funds have not been applied to my account yet. What should I do?   

There are a number of things that can prevent your student loan from being disbursed.  Contact Financial Aid to determine the status of your loan and to make sure you have completed all of the steps to receive your loan.

I received a grant from New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP).  How does this effect my tuition bill?

The Bursar's Office will defer the amount of your TAP award from your tuition. These awards are estimated and applied to tuition only. TAP grants are generally received in late November to early December for the fall semester, and late March to early April for the spring semester. If your account reflects a credit balance after these funds have been applied to you account, you will receive a refund check for any overpayment.

I live in New York State. Why am I being charged the out-of-state tuition rate?

To qualify for the New York State tuition you must have established legal residence and if you live outside New York City, you must submit a Certificate of Residence from your home county. 

See:  Residency

I have my own health insurance policy.  Do I have to purchase FIT insurance?

If you have insurance coverage equal to or better than FIT's insurance plan, you may file a waiver with our student health insurance provider.  The waiver must be filed each year online.

See:  Student Health Insurance

My employer will reimburse my tuition. Can I defer payment to the college?

No, generally you cannot defer your tuition payment. Most companies will reimburse employees after the course work has been completed according to the company's own policies. Some state agencies and private companies have a contract with FIT to make payment directly to the college. In these cases, your company or agency will complete a voucher for you to submit to the Bursar's Office at the time of your registration.

Why am I being charged full tuition when I have withdrawn from the college?

Official withdrawal is accomplished by completing a withdrawal form in the college's Registration Center or submitting your intent to withdraw in writing. Not attending class or stopping payment on a check is not considered official withdrawal.  In either of those cases, you will be responsible for paying your tuition and fees.   

See: Withdrawals and Refunds

Why are my records on hold?

If you have outstanding debts or obligations, a hold may be placed on your records.  If this happens, a notice will be mailed to you by the Bursar's Office.  To have a hold removed, please contact the department responsible for placing the hold.

Why was I de-registered from my courses?

If you don't pay your tuition and fees by their due dates, you may be de-registered (or dropped) from your courses.  You may also be subject to late fees and we cannot guarantee class availability for re-registration.  Please remember to check your account often and pay on time.

I registered early for all of my courses and paid for them. Later I registered for an additional course, but wasn't sure whether I wanted to attend, so I didn't pay for the one course. Why was I de-registered for all of my courses?

De-registration is an automatic procedure. The system cannot distinguish between courses you want to take and those you don't; it only determines that you have an unpaid balance and de-registers you for all of your course selections.  If you decide to drop a course, you should complete an official course withdrawal form before the payment due date to avoid being dropped from all your courses.  

See: Course Withdrawal

I registered for a course that was canceled by the college. When can I expect my refund?

Most students use credit balances created by a canceled or dropped course to take other courses, so refunds are not issued until the end of the drop/add period.  

See: Withdrawals and Refunds

Contact Us

[email protected]

Administrative Office
333 7th Avenue, 15th Floor
(212) 217-3720

Cashiering Operations
Business and Liberal Arts Center, Room B127
(212) 217-3680