Frequently Asked Questions

Can I complete an evening/weekend degree by attending classes only during the weeknights or only on the weekends?

No. Evening/weekend degree programs include both evening and weekend courses.

When are classes scheduled?

On weekdays, classes generally meet between 5 pm and 10 pm. Classes on the weekends are scheduled at all times.

Can I take classes during the day?

Evening/weekend students may not take daytime classes in their major or related areas, but you can register for any unrestricted Liberal Arts courses during the day.

Can I transfer from evening/weekend to day?

If you are interested in taking classes during the day or prefer to be in the day program, we suggest you apply directly to a day degree program.  The evening/weekend curriculum sequence is very specific, which makes the transfer from one program to another extremely difficult.

Is financial aid available for evening/weekend students?

Yes, learn more on our Financial Aid website.

What is the difference between full-time and part-time study?

Students who register for 1 to 11.5 credits are considered part-time students and pay tuition on a per-credit basis. Students registered for 12 or more credits are considered full-time students and pay a flat fee for tuition. Full-time students are also eligible to participate in clubs and organizations and are eligible for housing at FIT.

What classes do you suggest to help me with my portfolio for Fashion Design?

We recommend the following courses to help you develop pieces for a portfolio: FF 111 Fashion Art and Design I and FD 131 Sewing Techniques I.

What is a transfer student?

A transfer student is a student who has completed credits at another accredited institution that may apply to a degree program at FIT. If you have completed credits somewhere else and are applying to FIT, you would be applying as a transfer student.

Can I meet with someone before I apply to see what credits will transfer?

No. Transfer credits are evaluated once you are accepted.

How do I know if I need to take the TOEFL exam? What are the TOEFL requirements?

If your native language is not English, you must provide scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS), whether or not you have been living in the United States. If you have completed less than four years of English (not ESL) at a U.S. high school, you must also take the TOEFL or IELTS.

The minimum TOEFL score requirement depends on test format:

  • internet-based test: minimum score must be 80
  • computer-based test: minimum score must be 213
  • paper-based test: minimum score must be 550

FIT accepts IELTS with a minimum band score of 6.5 in the academic module.

Your TOEFL or IELTS score must be no more than 18 months old from the date you anticipate enrolling.

If I have taken ESL at another college, am I required to take the TOEFL exam?

Yes. You are not exempt from taking the TOEFL or IELTS, even if you've completed an English composition course at a college in the U.S. For information about scheduling the TOEFL exam and obtaining score reports, visit the TOEFL website. For information about scheduling the IELTS and obtaining score reports, visit the IELTS website.

What if my GPA from my previous college was low?

If your GPA from your last college was low, we suggest that you take Liberal Arts courses to raise your GPA before applying to strengthen your application. Make sure you register for courses in areas you have strengths.

What if I have accumulated 10 credits in non-degree status at FIT towards an evening/weekend degree program?

STOP taking courses! You should make an appointment to meet with an evening/weekend advisor.

What is the matriculation policy at FIT?

At least half the credits identified in any degree program as major area or related area credits must be taken while matriculated. No more than 30 credits taken at FIT in non-matriculated status may be applied toward a bachelor's or two-year associates degree program. No more than 15 credits taken at FIT in non-matriculated status may be applied toward a one-year associates degree program.

I am trying to register for courses but I receive an error message: MAJOR AREA RESTRICTION.

If you receive this error it is because the section is reserved for another program. You can view the master list of course offerings by visiting Registration. The column labeled RESTRICTIONS indicates who is able to enroll in that specific section. For example, if your major code is 7820, you may enroll in courses with a 7820 restriction. Any student can enroll in a section with no restrictions, provided they have met the pre- or co-requisite criteria. These courses are typically offered through Liberal Arts or may be your Related Area courses.