Bomb Threat Received by Telephone
Do not hang up. Attempt to engage the caller in conversation and obtain as much information as possible.
Have someone else call Campus Security at (212) 217-7777 from another extension, if possible.
Stay calm and keep your voice calm.
Pay close attention to details. Talk to the caller to obtain as much information as possible. Take notes and ask questions:
1. What exactly is the threat?
2. When will it explode?
3. Where was the bomb left?
4. Where is it right now?
5. What does it look like?
6. What kind of bomb is it?
Observe the callers speech:
1. Is the voice familiar in any way?
2. Is the caller male or female? Young or old?
3. Does the caller have a specific speech pattern (accent, stutter)?
4. What is the caller's emotional state (angry, agitated, calm)?
5. Is there any background noise (traffic, people talking and accents, music and type, etc.)?
Write down other information, such as date and time of call.
Call Campus Security at (212) 217-7777 and submit your notes.
Follow instructions from Campus Security.
Take cover under sturdy furniture, or leave the building if directed to do so by emergency responders.
Stay away from windows.
Do not light matches.
When safe to evacuate:
1. Move far away from the site of the hazard to a safe location.
2. Use stairs only; do not use elevators.
3. Call Campus Security at (212) 217-7777.
4. Follow evacuation procedures.