A building occupant is required by law to evacuate the building when the fire alarm sounds.
Evacuate via stairs, do not use elevators or escalators during evacuation as they can be dangerous during an emergency.
Shut down labs and studios. Close, but do not lock, doors and windows, if possible.
Gather personal belongings if it is safe to do so. (Reminder: take prescription medications with you if at all possible, as it may be hours before you are allowed back in the building.)
Assist disabled persons in evacuation and notify Campus Security of any disabled persons location.
- ASK someone with a disability how you can help BEFORE attempting any rescue technique or giving assistance. Ask how they can best be assisted or moved and whether there are any special considerations or items that need to come with them.
- For visually impaired persons, give verbal instructions to advise about the safest route or direction using compass directions, estimated distances, and directional terms.
- DO NOT grasp a visually impaired person's arm. Ask if he or she would like to hold onto your arm as you exit, especially if there is debris or a crowd.
- Get the attention of a person with a hearing disability by touch and eye contact. Clearly state the problem. Gestures and pointing are helpful, but be prepared to write a brief statement if the person does not seem to understand.
- Offer visual instructions to a person with a hearing disability to advise of the safest route or direction by pointing toward exits or evacuation maps.
- Help clear the exit route of debris (if possible) so the person with a disability can move out or to a safer area.
- If people with mobility impairments cannot exit, they should move to a safer area (e.g., most enclosed stairwells, an office with the door shut, located away from the hazard, etc.).
Meet at evacuation area.
Notify emergency responders immediately about any person remaining in the building and his/her location.
Follow instructions from FIT and/or emergency officials.
Remain at the evacuation area until instructed it is safe to leave by emergency responders or FIT officials. Do not re-enter the building or work area until you have been instructed to do so by FIT and/or emergency officials.
If the campus is closed, staff and students should not return to campus until the college is officially reopened. All administrators and maintenance personnel should report to work unless otherwise notified.