Costume Design and Wardrobe Technician Certificate
Fundamentals for an entertainment industry career
In this certificate you will learn the fundamentals of costume design, wardrobe, hand stitching techniques, and job search tools. Upon completion, you’ll have the basic tools needed to successfully develop a practical and marketable skill set in the field of costuming that will allow you to define a character through clothing and accessories, a fundamental understanding of wardrobe, and introductory hand sewing skills. Finally, you will create a standard resume and cover letter for use in the entertainment industry.
This certificate is recommended for newcomers and those interested in learning more about the field, including a basic understanding of industry standards and professional expectations. This remote certificate course will give each student the advantage of learning from multiple professionals actively working in the design and wardrobe industry.
- High-speed internet connection
- A standard laptop or desktop computer that is capable of running the latest browser to stream media
- Built-in or external webcam and speakers
*If you think you are eligible for the 10% Alumni Discount, please complete the Alumni Verification Form prior to registration in order to receive your discount code.
Learn How To
- Develop and hone skills for entry level employment in the entertainment industry
- Work with costume design and wardrobe teams and learn the importance of their various titles and roles
- Collaborate with multiple departments within the entertainment industry
- Design a production, from start to finish, with an overview of the fundamental skills needed
- Define a character through the use of clothing and accessories
- Develop the skills necessary to expand your professional vocabulary
- Maintain clothing, including fabric care, costume preparation, and the proper use of allied materials
- Build and maintain a wardrobe kit
- Use fundamental hand stitching and hemming techniques used in wardrobe and costume design
- Attach buttons and other closures with various methods
- Use techniques used by some of the most influential designers in the industry and learn how their designs help tell a story
- Develop rendering skills to portray basic proportion and an understanding of light, shadow, drape, and texture, and how choices tell a story
- Create an industry-specific resume and cover letter
- Navigate the roles of the wardrobe and costume design unions and membership benefits
- Curriculum created and facilitated by an industry professional working in multiple venues including Broadway, The Metropolitan Opera, film, and television.
- Certificate was developed by career professionals working in the entertainment industry
- Learn cutting-edge design skills that are in high demand
- An immersive learning experience that provides hands-on skill development
- Engage in conversations with multiple guest speakers in top industry positions
- This certificate isn’t widely available outside of FIT
- Earn a certificate from FIT/SUNY, a world renowned college of art and design, business and technology
- Creation of industry-specific resume and cover letter
- Completion of in class basic sewing techniques
- Wardrobe care and maintenance tutorials and documents specific to the course exercises
- Using an assigned play, students will create documents including the following:
- Script analysis
- Research boards
- Costume plot with scene breakdown
- Character closet
Center for Continuing and Professional Studies (CCPS)
FIT's CCPS offers credit and noncredit certificates and courses in fashion, business, design, technology, and marketing, to help you enter into or advance your career in the fashion and related industries. With short programs and flexible schedules, you can learn at a time and pace you can manage and afford.