Projects for Academic Year 2022 - 2023
Application Due: Tuesday, February 22, 2022
Approximate Date of Award Notification: May 2022
The President’s Sustainability Council of the Fashion Institute of Technology offers an annual grant-fund of $15,000 to support the College’s commitment to sustainability through creative and innovative initiatives that help to infuse various aspects of sustainability into our college culture, curricula, operations, and physical environment. We welcome proposals from FIT faculty, staff and students (student projects are required to have a faculty or staff adviser). Grants are awarded up to $5000 each and the fund is administered by the Sustainability Council.
2022-2023 Grant Details
The fund supports the development of a full range of potential sustainability efforts at FIT. For the 2022-2023 grant cycle the Council is encouraging proposals with the following foci: Circularity, Environmental and Social Justice, and Innovation. Projects are accepted that look at these areas within sustainability, focus on student, faculty, and staff engagement and provide opportunities to further develop an understanding of both practice and efforts towards building a sustainable future both at FIT and globally.
Note: Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, for the 2022-2023 grant cycle the Council cannot recommend any proposal which requires travel at this time. The Council will consider proposals which take appropriate precautions related to COVID related requirements. Projects should continue to focus on the sustainability efforts within the FIT community.
The fund’s annual budget is $15,000. The maximum grant awarded per project is $5,000, though smaller amounts may be requested. Please see examples of past funded grants. Please note that proposals can be authored and submitted by students, faculty, and staff.
Administration of the Fund
The chair of the Sustainability Council administers the fund under the auspices of the Office of the President. The Sustainability Council Grants Subcommittee has established and may periodically revise the guidelines for eligibility and the procedures for selection of grant recipients. All members of the Sustainability Council review proposals and make its recommendations for selection to the President for final selection.
It is highly recommended that grant writers consult with the Sustainability Council's Grants Committee (Sabrina Lenzen, [email protected] and Evelyn Rynkiewicz, [email protected]). Please contact the Sustainability Council Chair, Karen Pearson, at [email protected] with any other questions about the Sustainability Council Grants.
Fund Year Fall 2022 - Spring 2023
- February 22, 2022: Application DUE. Please complete the grant application in accordance with the application guidelines, by the end of the day
- February - March 2022: Sustainability Council reviews grant proposals
- May 2022: Grant awardees notified by email no later than June 30. Projects can begin as soon as awardees have been notified. NOTE: Purchases for goods and services may not begin until July 1, 2022. Purchases made before July 1, 2022 will not be reimbursed. All recipients will have a budget orientation meeting at the beginning of the grant cycle
- February 15, 2023: Tentative project completion date (project completion date is flexible)
- March 15, 2023: Written report on the project outcome is due to the Sustainability council (or when project is completed)
- April 2023: Project presented at FIT’s Annual Sustainable Business and Design Conference (specific date to be determined; typically held in early April)
- June 30, 2023: Purchases of all goods and services, in accordance with the Sustainability Council’s Administrative Guidelines, must be completed.
All recipients will have a budget orientation meeting at the beginning of the grant cycle.