If you had accommodations in high school or any previous institution, or think you might benefit from support, we encourage you to register with FIT-ABLE. Registration is a voluntary process and may occur at any time during the student’s course of study, however, it is recommended that requests are made with enough time to be reasonably implemented. Accommodations will be implemented after approval by FIT-ABLE and are not retroactive to the beginning of the semester.
Students who wish to document a disability may include, but are not limited to:
- Students entering the College for the first time or returning after a period of non-enrollment who have a known disability
- Students experiencing educational difficulty who are referred by a faculty member or College official for consultation regarding the possibility of disability
- Students whose health and/or physical abilities are altered during their educational tenure resulting in a disability (permanent or temporary).
If you do not have current documentation or have never been diagnosed, you can still contact the office to discuss your situation.
Steps to register with FIT-ABLE:
- Fill out our Public Accommodation Request Form
- Submit the appropriate Documentation to support your request for reasonable accommodations.
Students requesting academic accommodations must provide documentation to support the existence of any disability, and the need for reasonable accommodation(s).
Documentation must be provided by a non-FIT associated, qualified professional that is licensed or otherwise properly credentialed in the related field of disability, most often a physician, educational diagnostician, learning disability specialist, or mental health professional. The qualified professional must have a legitimate provider/patient relationship with the individual and generally may not be a relative of the individual requesting the accommodation.
Students should provide:
- A psychoeducational or neuropsychological evaluation accompanied by an IEP/504
***Please note that to complete this request you may need to supply your healthcare provider with a completed copy of the Student Release of Medical Information For Academic Accommodations Form (.pdf) .
Documentation can be uploaded with the Public Accommodation Request Form, or submitted to the office by any of the following methods:
Email: [email protected]
Fax: (212) 217-4091
In person/delivered to:
Office of Disability Support Services
Dubinsky Student Center, Room A570
Fashion Institute of Technology
227 West 27th Street
New York, NY 10001
If you have any questions about disability documentation, please contact the Office of Disability Services [email protected], (212) 217-4090.