First-Time Student Orientation
Attending Precollege Orientation is the difference between a good first day experience and a great first day experience. We hope to see you there!
The orientation presentation lasts about 40 minutes and includes an additional 20-minute question and answer period.
After the presentation, parents and students are encouraged to explore the campus and obtain FIT ID cards.
This event provides an opportunity for families to explore our campus, meet our Precollege staff, review our guidelines and policies, and resolve any outstanding registration items.
We strongly recommend families use this day as a “dress rehearsal.” Practice using public transportation, visit your classroom, meet new classmates, and explore our surrounding neighborhood. It’s always best to “know before you go,” and this is the ideal way to do just that! Students can also go through pre-check so there’s no need to wait for check-in on Opening Day.
FIT will not be able to provide a make-up orientation; therefore, your child should follow the instructions for the first day of class. Orientation details are posted below.
Spring Orientation - If you have attended the orientation for spring, or any other semester with Precollege Programs, you are not required to attend again.
Summer Orientation Dates (for all new students)
Choose from the following dates (no RSVP needed):
Saturday, June 27, 2020
Wednesday, July 1, 2020
Sunday, July 5, 2020
What To Bring
Please bring your completed Information and Consent Form and your printed Schedule of Classes. If you are unable to print at home, we will direct you to our office in SR-10 prior to the event to obtain print-outs there.
NOTE: Orientation Days are the only days that parents and other guests are permitted on the upper floors of the campus. If you wish to visit the school and view your child's classroom, you may do so only on Orientation Days. You may visit the campus any other time, but you will only have access to the campus lobbies and first-floor offices.
At this session families will learn about:
- Rules and policies of the program (calling in sick, earning grades, leaving early, security protocol, etc)
- Classroom assignments
- Navigating the campus (with your family)
- Making changes to your schedule (pending course availability)
- Our surrounding neighborhood
- Meeting other Precollege students from your area
- Obtaining your Security ID card (required only for the 10 or 11-day Live Program students)
WHAT IF I AM UNABLE TO ATTEND ORIENTATION?
- To avoid a stressful first day, we recommend that new students rehearse their commute to FIT to familiarize themselves with the commute time, our neighborhood and lunch and coffee spots near our campus on any day before the start of your class.
- REMINDER: No student can attend Precollege Programs without a signed Precollege Consent Form (download here) for the current semester (we do not keep them on file from previous semesters).
- Our office will email you the Orientation video after the first Orientation session for the semester, please make sure you watch it.
- ID Card Information:
- Returning students do not need to get new ID cards, they will be issued an updated sticker in their first class.
- New, 10 or 11-day Live Program students only: you must get an FIT ID card before the start of classes. To obtain an FIT ID card, bring a copy of your schedule to the Public Safety Office located in D-404. Please make arrangements with Public Safety to obtain an FIT photo identification card before the first day of class (you can call (212) 217-4999 to make sure the office is open) to enter the building on Opening Day. More about FIT Identification Cards
- Workshop students do not get a photo ID card. They will be given a special ID at check-in on Opening Day.