Veteran Affairs Educational Benefits

Benefit Programs

Chapter 30 - Montgomery GI Active Duty (MGIB-AD)

The MGIB-AD program provides educational benefits to veterans and service members who have at least two years of active duty; eligibility criteria can be found on the Department of Veteran Affairs website

Chapter 1606 - Montgomery GI Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR)

The MGIB-SR program provides education and training benefits to eligible members of the Selected Reserve. Information regarding eligibility can be found on the Department of Veteran Affairs website.

Chapter 1607 - Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP)

REAP provides educational assistance to members of the Reserve components called or ordered to active duty in response to a war or national emergency declared by the president or congress; eligibility criteria can be found on the Department of Veteran Affairs website.  To apply for Chapter 30, 1606, or 1607 benefits, you must complete VA Form 22-1990.

Chapter 35 - Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance program (DEA)

The DEA program offers education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of veterans who are permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition or of veterans who died while on active duty or as a result of a service-related condition. Eligibility criteria can be found on the Department of Veteran Affairs websiteTo apply for Chapter 35 benefits, you must complete VA Form 22-5490.

Chapter 31 - Veteran Readiness and Employment

The VR&E program extends vocational rehabilitation benefits for 12 months for veterans who have completed the VA vocational rehabilitation program and have run out of initial unemployment benefits. Eligibility criteria can be found on the Department of Veteran Affairs website.  

To apply for Chapter 31 benefits, you must complete VA Form 28-1900. However, it is advised that you contact a VA Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor beforehand. To learn more or to apply for Chapter 31 benefits in New York State, please call (800) 827-1000.

Chapter 33 - The Post-9/11 GI Bill®

The Post-9/11 GI Bill® provides financial support for education and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill®.

As of August 1, 2009, the Post-9/11 GI Bill® is effective for training. Approved training under the Post-9/11 GI Bill® includes graduate and undergraduate degrees, and vocational/technical training. All training programs must be offered by an institution of higher learning (IHL) and approved for GI Bill® benefits. Additionally, tutorial assistance, and licensing and certification test reimbursement are approved under the Post-9/11 GI Bill®.

The Post-9/11 GI Bill® will pay your tuition based upon the highest in-state tuition charged by a public educational institution in the state where the school is located. The amount of support that an individual may qualify for depends on where they live and what type of degree they are pursuing.

This Post-9/11 GI Bill® will pay eligible individuals:

  • Tuition and fees directly to the school not to exceed the maximum in-state tuition and fees at a public Institution of Higher Learning.
  • A monthly housing allowance based on the basic allowance for housing for an E-5 with dependents at the location of the school. 
  • An annual books and supplies stipend of $1,000 paid proportionately based on enrollment.
  • A one-time rural benefit payment for eligible individuals.

This benefit is payable only for training at an Institution of Higher Learning (IHL). If you are on active duty you will not receive the housing allowance or books and supplies stipend. This benefit provides up to 36 months of education benefits, generally benefits are payable for 15 years following your release from active duty.

The Post-9/11 GI Bill® also offers some service members the opportunity to transfer their GI Bill® benefits to dependents.

Transfer of Post-9/11 GI Bill® Benefits to Dependents (TEB)

Visit the GI Bill© transferability website to determine if your dependents are eligible to receive transferred educational benefits.

Scholarships and Awards for Veterans

For information on scholarships and awards available to veterans and to apply, please visit Military Corner. You also may call (888) 697-4372 or send an email to [email protected].