Remote Course Requirements and Information
What is a remote precollege course?
A remote course is a fully digital experience offered through Google Classroom. Remote courses will require you to login in real-time for the lecture and classroom-style learning, and you will have access to additional resources (ie. tutorial videos, handouts etc.) when class time is over. You will be required to log on during specific class times to participate in virtual discussions, read lectures, complete assignments, and interact with the instructor and other students (REMINDER: attendance, participation and project completion are part of the grading process). Please review the required supplies for each course, as some courses will need students to acquire software, equipment or tools for full participation.
Please note, students need to fully participate in the class as they would in-person. This means they keep their camera 'ON', take part in discussions and stay connected for the ENTIRE duration of the class (sessions will not be recorded). If your child needs special accommodations please let us know before the start of the class so that we could communicate this to the instructor.
Minimum Requirements for Remote Learning:
- a computer or device (using a phone as the primary device is not recommended as some features may not be optimized)
- high speed internet connection (dial-up connections are not recommended, due to the nature of downloading/viewing/sharing media)
- an up-to-date browser, such as Chrome (recommended), Firefox, or Safari
- additional specific material or equipment requirements will be posted with your courses' description as we receive them.
Getting Ready for Remote Classes
- All classes will be conducted through Google Classroom. Parents/guardians must sign the Acknowledgment of Risk and Release and Waiver Of Liability form before a student is invited to the remote class.
- To access the class, students will go to Google Classroom and log in with their MyFIT credentials:
- Username: [email protected]
- MyFIT password
- Select 'Join' to accept the invitation.
- Students should review the Student Code of Conduct for Distance Learning and Strategies for Student Success Guide sent by email from [email protected]
First Day of Class
Reminder: each day the instructor will turn the Meet link in Google Classroom on and off. Students will click this link or the camera icon when it is visible to join the class.
- Students will log in to the Google Classroom 5-10 minutes before start time
- Each student should complete the Attendance Form under Classwork view and mark the assignment as 'Done' or 'Turn in"
- In the Stream view, students will click the Meet link (a small camera icon)
- Each day students will log into Google Classroom and join their class(es) this way.
- All students have to leave the live meeting at the end of class