Report an Incident

Options for Reporting Crimes and Incidents

FIT encourages students, faculty, staff, and other members of our educational community to report crimes and other safety incidents promptly to any or all of the administrators below:

  • Department of Public Safety,
    236 West 27th Street, 1st floor (till 6pm on weekdays)
    (212) 217-7777
    • After 6pm on weekdays, on weekends, or holidays:
      call, or contact security in Feldman Center Lobby
  • Dean of Students
    (212) 217-3800
  • Title IX Coordinator
    (212) 217-3360

FIT encourages accurate and prompt reporting of all crimes to Public Safety and to local law enforcement, when the victim of a crime elects to (or is unable to) make such a report.

Additional Options for Reporting Crimes and Incidents

FIT prefers that all crimes and incidents be promptly reported to one of the authorities listed above. We recognize, however, that depending on the circumstances, some members of the community may choose to report crimes and incidents to other FIT officials. In addition to the authorities listed above, crimes and incidents may be reported to the following additional administrators:

Victims of Sexual Violence

If you or a friend has been a victim of sexual violence, it is recommended that you DO NOT change clothing, comb hair, brush teeth, or disturb the area where the crime occurred.

If you want to report the crime, notify the Department of Public Safety immediately at (212) 217-7777 (off campus) or 7-7777 (on campus) or call 911. Reporting the crime can help you regain a sense of personal control and can also help to ensure the safety of other potential victims.

Call a friend, family member, or someone else you trust and ask her or him to stay with you. Preserve all physical evidence. Do not shower, bathe, douche, or brush your teeth. Save all of the clothing you were wearing at the time of the assault and do not wash it. Place each item of clothing in a separate paper bag. Do not use plastic bags. Do not disturb anything in the area.

Go to FIT Health Services and/or the hospital emergency department for medical care and evidence gathering. Even if you think that you do not have any physical injuries, you should still have a medical examination and discuss with a health care provider the risk of exposure to sexually transmitted diseases and the possibility of pregnancy resulting from the sexual assault. FIT Health Services can also provide follow up health care and support.

If you suspect that you may have been given a date rape or predatory drug, ask the hospital or medical facility where you are receiving care to take a urine sample immediately. Date rape and predatory drugs, such as Rohypnol, GHB, and Ketamine are more likely to be detected in the urine than in the blood.

Write down as much as you can remember about the circumstances, including any physical description of the assailant.

Talk with a counselor who is trained to assist sexual violence victims about emotional and physical impacts. The FIT Counseling Center can also provide follow up care and support.