Accessibility at the Library
The FIT Library works with Disability Support Services (FIT-ABLE) and the college Electronic Information Technology Accessibility Officer to ensure equal access to library services and resources for all users, including individuals with disabilities.
The Library Accessibility Liaisons are Tabitha Hanslick in the Office of the Library Director and Carli Spina in the Research & Instructional Services unit. Additional information about library accessibility not included on this page or questions about accessibility in the library should be forwarded to the above-mentioned Library Accessibility Liaisons.
The main entrance into the library is wheelchair accessible by elevator to the 5th floor of Goodman Center (the E building).
Access to the 4th and 6th floors for any person with a mobility disability can be arranged with the assistance of library staff. Upon arrival on the 5th floor, see a member of Access & Circulation Services for elevator access. To return to the 5th floor or exit the library, staff at any library service desk can provide assistance. Elevator access to the 6th floor library reading room is available via an alarmed rear door that can be accessed by using a buzzer to call staff.
- Students who regularly need elevator access to the sixth floor of the library may contact the FIT-ABLE offices to arrange for ID card access for the semester.
- The nearest ADA accessible restrooms are located in the Goodman Center lobby.
- A quiet study space is available on the 4th floor of the library in E404; however, it is occasionally used for forecast instruction sessions. Please call ahead to check for availability.
- Our group study space (E605) can be available for students who will be taking proctored exams; however, the library does not provide a proctoring service.
- Emergency Evacuation Chair: In the event of an emergency evacuation, a carry chair is available on the 6th floor in the emergency stairwell (Q Stair) located off the lobby just outside of the library reading room. Public Safety personnel will assist with evacuations.
FIT-ABLE ensures equal access for students with disabilities through various requested accommodations. More information on assistive technology options on campus are available on the FIT-ABLE webpage.
Access to Resources
In addition to services provided by FIT-ABLE for students who request accommodations, the FIT Library strives to make all Library resources accessible—or offer options for making the resources accessible by request.
Services can include:
- OCR scans of instructional and research materials for use with screen readers
- the request of accessible materials via interlibrary loan
- captioning and transcription of audio-visual materials
- assistance retrieving books from our shelves
- retrieving items ahead of time: you may request items ahead of your visit by placing a hold request through OneSearch for the item; instructions are found on the Access Services page
The college’s Accessibility at FIT page provides more detailed information about available resources and services.