Lactation Room for Nursing Mothers
The New York State Labor Law Section 206-C enables employees who are nursing mothers to use break time to express milk during the workday.
Fashion Institute of Technology provides the use of private lactation rooms for employees and students. It also provides reasonable break times, for purposes of nursing and expressing breast milk, pursuant to New York City Local Laws 185 and 186, and applicable federal, state, and city laws. We encourage you to review FIT’s Lactation Rooms policy so you are aware of your rights, and the rights of other employees or students, as they pertain to lactation accommodations, and to learn how FIT can help.
Lactation Rooms are located at (see campus map for additional information):
- Feldman Center, 3rd floor, C 309A
- 333 7th Ave. 16th Floor, Room 16.61
Terms and Conditions for Reservation and Use of Lactation Rooms
- Those approved for use of lactation spaces should reserve the space via Book It:
- Students should contact Student Life or FIT-ABLE
- Employees should contact Human Resources via the HR Solution Center
- Lactation rooms may be reserved up to two weeks in advance.
- The room must be left in clean condition for the next occupant.
Additional Accommodations for Lactation
Employees or student employees who need additional accommodations, such as adjusted work schedules, should review the Reasonable Workplace Accommodations policy and complete an ADA Accommodation Request Form via the HR Solution Center.
Students who need other accommodations, such as adjustments to work or class schedules, should refer to the Disability Accommodations and Support Services policy and contact FIT-ABLE for arrangements.
For more information on the NYS guidelines: NYS Nursing Mother's Fact Sheet (.pdf)