Withdrawal & Refund Policies
1. WITHDRAWAL POLICIES
BEFORE INTERVIEW / ADVISEMENT / ACCEPTANCE OFFER
- If you decide to withdraw your application before your interview, you MUST notify the Office of International Programs by email. Your withdrawal will be effective on the day it is received by the Office of International Programs.
AFTER YOU HAVE RETURNED THE ACCEPTANCE LETTER AND COMMITTED TO PARTICIPATING IN THE PROGRAM
- If you decide to withdraw your acceptance after you have agreed to participate and before the beginning of the semester at FIT, you MUST direct your request for withdrawal by email to the department chairperson with a copy to the Residential Director, department's International Advisor and to the FIT Office of International Programs. Your withdrawal from the study-abroad program will be effective on the day it is received by your department chairperson. Once you have agreed to participate in the program FIT cannot guarantee that there will be space for you to register for classes in New York after you withdraw.
- Any charges that FIT has advanced for study abroad on your behalf will remain your financial responsibility.
- If you are receiving Financial Aid, you MUST notify the FIT Director of Financial Aid that you have withdrawn from the program as your award has been calculated anticipating your study abroad.
AFTER YOU AFTER YOU ARRIVE IN ITALY
- If you decide to withdraw from the program after you arrive in Italy, you MUST make an appointment with the Resident Director to discuss your reasons for withdrawal. It is important that your situation be reviewed carefully with the Resident Director as you may be experiencing normal adjustment problems that can be addressed without having to withdraw.
- If you remain decided to withdraw from the program after your discussion with the Resident Director, you must inform her of your decision in writing with a copy to the FIT Director of International Programs and your FIT department chair in New York. Your withdrawal will be effective the day that you advise the Resident Director of your decision in writing.
- You MUST specify if you are withdrawing from the Program in Italy or withdrawing from FIT. This is a very important distinction.
- The Resident Director will advise you of the other obligations that you may be responsible for in Italy. These can include your being required to show that you have met your financial obligations to any landlord, agent or fellow students, for example regarding an apartment you have rented or have committed to share with other students. Italian immigration authorities and the U.S. Consulate will be informed that you are no longer a student in the program.
2. REFUND POLICIES
- Once you commit yourself to participate in the program, plans and services will begin to be made on your behalf. Your FIT account will be charged a $120 administrative fee and $1250 as an FIT in Italy Program fee. It will also be charged for any other expenses which have been incurred in anticipation of your participation, such as your Italian Emergency Health insurance, Italian Residence tax stamps, field trip charges, and temporary housing, etc. If you withdraw after these charges have been incurred on your behalf, there can be no credit or refund.
- The Resident Director will advise you of the other obligations that you may be responsible for in Italy. These can include your being required to show that you have met your financial obligations to any landlord, agent or fellow students, for example regarding an apartment you have rented or have committed to share with other students.
- Established FIT tuition refund policies will be applied to your account as of the date your withdrawal becomes effective.
1. WITHDRAWAL POLICIES
BEFORE INTERVIEW/ADVISEMENT/ACCEPTANCE LETTER
- If you decide to withdraw your application before your interview, you must notify the Office of International Programs (OIP) by email. Your withdrawal will be effective on the day it is received by the OIP.
AFTER YOUR APPROVAL TO STUDY ABROAD WITH OIP
- If you decide to withdraw after you have been approved and have accepted the offer to study abroad, you must direct your request for withdrawal by email to the FIT OIP. If you are participating in a program through CCIS/SUNY, you must also notify the administering CCIS/SUNY campus in writing. Once you have agreed to participate in the program, FIT cannot guarantee that there will be space for you to register for classes in New York after you withdraw.
AFTER YOU HAVE COMMITTED TO PARTICIPATING WITH THE HOST INSTITUTION
- In addition to contacting OIP and the administering CCIS/SUNY campuses, you must also contact the mobility/exchange office at the host institution.
- It is your responsibility to comply with any procedures or payments that are required by the host school or any residential arrangements that have been made on your behalf. In addition, the $120.00 Application Fee charged to your FIT account is strictly non-refundable.
AFTER YOU HAVE ARRIVED AT YOUR HOST INSTITUTION
- If you decide to withdraw from the program at any time after you arrive at your host institution, you must contact the mobility/exchange office of the host institution and receive instructions as to how you may withdraw from the program. It is your responsibility to comply with any procedures or payments that are required by the host school or any residential arrangements that have been made on your behalf. You must then send an official communication to the FIT OIP (by email) regarding your withdrawal decision and confirm that you have complied with any procedures or payments that may be required by the host institution.
- After you withdraw, your FIT Study Abroad full-time matriculation will be removed from your records for that semester. FIT cannot guarantee that there will be space for you after you withdraw to register for classes in New York.
PROGRAM CANCELLATION POLICIES
If FIT cancels the program due to low enrollment, you will receive a refund for all payments you have made.
If FIT is required to cancel a program prior to departure due to unforeseen circumstances over which FIT has no control, students will be responsible for any financial commitments that have been made on their behalf (non-refundable flight deposits or airfares, non-refundable hotel bookings, etc.).
Submit a request by email to both the Office of International Programs (OIP) and the course instructor. Withdrawal will be effective upon receipt of this communication and the conditions below will apply depending upon when you withdraw.
Withdrawal from the Program (Program Fees)
*Please note that Program Fees are calculated on a group basis and an individual withdrawal affects the entire group.*
- The $60.00 Application Fee and first deposit (deposit amounts vary by program) are strictly non-refundable as FIT will begin to make arrangements on your behalf.
- If you withdraw for any reason after you have begun payments, you will be charged according to the cost of the arrangements that have been made on your behalf (including those not yet billed to your student account).
- Students who withdraw for any reason within 60 days of the start of the program will not receive any refund of the Program Fee as guaranteed airline, hotel, museum and other arrangements have been made on their behalf. If you decide to return home for any reason, you will be required to arrange and pay for your own return travel. Students who have documented illness and are required to return home should contact the Emergency Assistance department of their Medical Insurance provider.
Withdrawal from the Course (Tuition Fees)
- If you withdraw before the first day of your class abroad, you will receive a full refund for the tuition and registration and technology fees.
- If you withdraw at any time after the course has begun, there is no refund of tuition or registration and technology fees.
Because no refund is guaranteed once you have begun making payments, FIT recommends that all study abroad students consider trip cancellation insurance to cover travel arrangements in the event of a cancellation or delay due to unforeseen events (i.e. documented serious illness or hospitalization).
Trip cancellation coverage requires very specific proof of insured conditions and each policy needs to be carefully evaluated. Depending on the policy, some conditions for trip cancellation or delay may be excluded. Generally, an individual decision not to participate for personal reasons would not be covered. Policies also vary on when trip cancellation insurance must be purchased. Students should verify the terms and conditions with the travel insurance providers offering the policy.
Although FIT does not endorse or recommend any insurance provider, SUNY has identified the following provider you may want to research or consider: