Foundations in Professional Image Consulting Skills Certificate
Become an Image Consultant in 12 weeks!
Fall 2022 Dates (Online)
SXI 101: September 20 - December 13, 2022
Time: Fully online (asynchronous) with bi-weekly remote support discussions in Webex
Online Platform: Blackboard - Online
**If you were in the previous Image Consulting Certificate Program, our office will email you by September 10th about certificate completion.
In this certificate, you will learn the career opportunities of the image consulting profession along with the essential skills needed to effectively analyze and advise individual clients on their appearance, wardrobe combinations and their image communications. Diagnostic skills covered include facial analysis, body proportion and clothing fit, clothing style personality, color concepts for wardrobe planning, and accessory selection.
Upon completion, you’ll have the basic knowledge and foundation needed upon which to build a successful image consulting practice. You will be able to begin analyzing clients in order to better guide them in their clothing and personal image choices.
Emphasis is on use of various assessment methodologies that blend the art of fashion with the science of wardrobe selection. This includes hands-on activities, practice using elements of their own wardrobe for demonstration as well as interacting with classmates in group analysis activities online and/or offline.
Learn the art of helping others refine their personal or professional appearance to enhance confidence, style, and wardrobe investments. Study color, fit, accessories, and visual principles as you develop the skills that support a positive transformation for yourself and others in this informative course.
- High-speed internet connection
- Internet research for assignments
- A standard laptop or desktop computer that is capable of running the latest browser and streaming media
- Built-in or external webcam and speakers
*If you think you are eligible for the 10% Alumni Discount, please complete the Alumni Verification Form prior to registration in order to receive your discount code.
Learn How To
- Define image consulting, services, and niches of an image consulting business
- Diagnose facial characteristics, face shapes, line direction/movement, scale, and features
- Select necklines, accessories, eyewear, prints, and fabric textures
Identify the 4 properties of color, analyze undertone and season, contrast levels, warm to cool colors, and the Seasonal Color Theory
Identify different body shapes and dressing solutions for different body challenges
- Examine fabric characteristics including color, texture, pattern, weight, drape, and weave and their relation to lifestyle, facial, and body features
- Observe garment details and silhouettes and how they relate to body proportions and body image
Understand fashion styles, clothing personalities, messaging, comfort zones, lifestyle, personal image and goals
- Utilize fashion trends and gain an understanding of important designers, their trademarks and ongoing influence
- Identify the steps of a wardrobe/closet analysis and the benefits of capsule dressing
- Communicate with clients, the do’s and don’ts of etiquette
- FIT is the first globally recognized academic institution to offer an extensive certificate training program for image consultants (since 1995)
- The diverse instructor team is globally recognized, they are pioneers in the image consulting profession
- The instructors have worked with both individual and corporate clients worldwide, some have authored books and developed train the trainer programs for global corporations
- The instructor team brings decades of image business experience to the curriculum and the student learning experience
- Earn a certificate from FIT/SUNY, a world renowned college of art and design, business and technology
- Introduction to Image Consulting
- Faces and Accessories
- Color Analysis Concepts for Image Professionals
- Body Analysis and Clothing Fit
- Design Elements for Image Consulting
- Color and Image Messaging and Image Communications
- Impact of Influential Fashion Designers
- Designing and Structuring Professional Services
- Closet Analysis, Personal Shopping, etc.
Center for Continuing and Professional Studies (CCPS)
FIT's CCPS offers credit and noncredit certificates and courses in fashion, business, design, technology, and marketing, to help you enter into or advance your career in the fashion and related industries. With short programs and flexible schedules, you can learn at a time and pace you can manage and afford.