Withdrawal and Refund Information
Breaking Your Housing Contract
If at any time you decide break your housing contract , you must complete an online withdrawal form, which is sent directly to the Residential Life Office. The information provided below will help you navigate the withdrawal process.
Please note: withdrawing from the college does not automatically withdraw you from housing. See: Withdrawing from the College
Once you complete this request you will receive a confirmation email from the Residential Life Office regarding the status of your withdrawal. If you are approved for a withdrawal you will have 48 hours to vacate your space and return your key to the Residential Life Office. Housing refunds will be processed according to the refund schedule found in the Residence Contract.
Students who are graduating, students enrolled in a college exchange program, or students withdrawing from the college must complete the housing withdrawal request. Questions regarding refund checks/payments should be directed to the Bursar's Office at (212) 217-3680.
Students who are already living in campus housing and are withdrawing from the residence halls MUST ADHERE to the established check-out procedure.
To Submit a Withdrawal
- Log into your myHousing
- Click Forms and Applications
- Select Withdrawal From Housing
- Complete the form and our office will be in touch within 5 business days
Breach of Contract - Withdrawal Refund Schedule
- Last day for 100% refund: 1-August
- Last day for 75% refund: 18-August
- Last day for 50% refund: 29-August
- Last day for 25% refund: 12-September
- No refunds will be issued past 13-September
- Last day for 100% refund: 1-January
- Last day for 75% refund: 18-January
- Last day for 50% refund: 29-January
- Last day for 25% refund: 12-February
- No refunds will be issued past 13-February
Terms and Conditions Per Housing Agreement
- No refunds are granted for technology fees, residence association fees, insurance fees, or housing application fees
- Residents forfeit the right to appeal housing of dining related charges and refunds after the posted move out date for the semester
- Dining and Housing refund appeals must be made through the Housing Appeals Form for review by the Housing Refund Committee. All decisions made by the committee are final
- If a student’s application for residence is not accepted and the resident chooses to withdraw, the $500 deposit will be refunded in full.
- A resident who officially withdraws or has been dismissed from FIT for either academic or disciplinary reasons is not released from the obligations of this Contract unless otherwise agreed and will remain responsible for all associated costs.
- If Resident vacates a suite/room without the consent of Residential Life prior to the end of the stated Term of this Contract the Resident shall remain responsible for the costs of the entire stated Term of the Contract.
- Failure to occupy a space after signing this Contract does not relieve the Resident of the responsibility to fulfill the terms and financial obligations of the Contract.