Color Specialist Certificate Program for Art, Design and Fashion-Related Products
Color is the primary customer purchasing motivator
Spring 2023 Dates (In-Person)
SXC 110: March 6 - May 3, 2023 (skips Apr 3 and 5)
Time: Every Monday and Wednesday, 6:30pm to 9:30pm
**Please read the requirements for attending in-person courses here.
Artists, designers, and merchandisers embark on an 8-week certificate program that cultivates their ability to use color to achieve success and increase sales with an understanding of consumer behavior. Work hands-on developing professional palettes to make confident design, styling and merchandising decisions. This certificate program includes a panel discussion by industry experts who work with color in their fields, career coaching, and a special session conducted by a top trend expert. Visits and demos include FIT’s unique color facilities.
- Students should expect to purchase some workshop-related materials assigned at the first class
- A color wheel by The Color Wheel Co for the first class of the program
*If you think you are eligible for the 10% Alumni Discount, please complete the Alumni Verification Form prior to registration in order to receive your discount code.
Learn How To
- Identify how color impacts branding and purchasing decisions, including subliminal messaging
- Use color as a creative competitive tool
- Identify color psychology in today’s multi-cultural market
- Utilize professional color vocabulary, resources, and guides
- Create color palettes, combinations, and stories
- Use color as a mood and appearance enhancer
- Apply the art and science of color forecasting
- Make use of possible career paths and advancement
- Certificate developed and taught by professional color experts and offers the only comprehensive curriculum for use of color as a marketing tool
- FIT has the distinction of having faculty who are color specialists in many markets including apparel, accessories, home products, interior design, marketing and communications; as well as psychology, sociology, and art history
- The FIT Gladys Marcus Library trend forecasting resources and the Textile Development and Marketing Department Archroma laboratory
- Earn a certificate from FIT/SUNY, a world renowned college of art and design, business and technology
Meet Your Instructors
Certificate Lead Instructor, owner, design director, DLHernandez INC, custom rug design, rug stylist, consultant, adjunct assistant professor, certified color specialist, Textile Surface Design, FIT, member IFDA NYC Chapter.
Fashion and textile historian, design and trend consultant.
Global trend ambassador, principal, carpenter+company, international color authority and brand consultant, designer and merchandiser.
President, CFS Trends, internationally recognized color authority and trend forecaster.
Design director, Tyler Hall, wallcovering and fabrics, custom art studio hand painted designer, adjunct assistant professor, Textile Surface Design/Fabric Styling, FIT.
- 4 sessions: How to Use Color to Move the Market: Design Concept to the Customer’s Closet
- 4 sessions: Learn to Work Like a Color Professional
- 4 sessions: Color Painting Studio
- 2 sessions: Color Messages and Meanings
- 1 session: Color Trend Forecasting and Today’s Customer
- 1 session: Color Careers
Center for Continuing and Professional Studies (CCPS)
FIT's CCPS offers credit and noncredit certificates and courses in fashion, business, design, technology, and marketing, to help you enter into or advance your career in the fashion and related industries. With short programs and flexible schedules, you can learn at a time and pace you can manage and afford.