If You Are Injured

If a job-related illness or injury occurs, it is essential that you receive prompt first aid care, regardless of how minor the illness or injury may seem.

It is important that you report the incident immediately to a supervisor and the Office of Human Resources at (212) 217-3650. All accidents must also be reported to the Security Department at (212) 217-7777 or by using one of red emergency phones located throughout campus. Security personnel responding to an accident will produce a report of the incident. The Office of Human Resources will receive a copy of your Security Incident Report.

You must also Report Your Work Related Injury or Illness.  If applicable, the FIT Office of Human Resources will process a workers' compensation claim through PMA. The Office of Human Resources or PMA can then provide you with a workers' compensation claim number.

A PMA claims representative will contact you to ask how you are and ask you questions about your claim. The claims representative may also ask you to complete a medical authorization form. This form will enable PMA to obtain your medical records from your treating physician, which will help PMA determine your benefits eligibility faster. The claims representative will review the accident and medical reports from your doctor and notify you of your eligibility for benefits within 18 days of your disability date, or within 10 days after PMA knows of the accident which ever time period is later. 

If you qualify for workers' compensation, PMA will pay for necessary services related to your work injury or illness once notified, unless the treatment is found to be unreasonable. If you face an immediate medical emergency, you may secure initial assistance from an emergency room or any hospital or physician.

You should provide the hospital or physician with your PMA workers' compensation claim number. Keep your medical appointments and follow healthcare provider instructions, both on and off work. You will be responsible for keeping your supervisor and the Office of Human Resources informed of your recovery progress and anticipated return to work.

Lost time as a result of a work-related injury or accident that also qualifies as a medical leave of absence will be charged against your Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) entitlement, if you are eligible for FMLA.

You should charge your available paid-time-off time banks for your absences from work, if applicable. The FIT Office of Human Resources will be notified in writing with details of a decision on your claim by the Workers Compensation Board (WCB). Loss of time that you have charged to your paid-time-off time bank(s) will be reinstated after we receive a decision from the WCB on your claim.

By state law, employees are eligible for workers' compensation benefits if they have a job-related injury or illness. The decision to hire an attorney should be made at the your discretion. Most workers' compensation claims are not disputed by insurance companies and medical and wage benefits are paid at no cost to the employee. Generally, you will not need an attorney to obtain benefits.

If you are injured at work, our goal is to return you to your pre-injury status as soon as possible. The Office of Human Resources will be available to work with you to help you to a quicker recovery and safe return to regular work, but it can only be effective if we work together.

When you report an injury, the Office of Human Resources will give you a Return to Work Certification Form (.pdf) for your healthcare provider to complete. This form may be needed in addition to other leave forms that you may have to complete if you require a leave of absence. Based on the information provided by your health care provider, the Office of Human Resources will work with you and your supervisor in helping you transition back to work.


Cadence Rx First Fill Card
Report a Work Related Injury or Illness
Physical Demands Analysis Form (.pdf)
Return to Work Certification Form (.pdf)
Workers' Compensation Pamphlet (.pdf)