Campus Safety and Security
Policy No. SS003
At FIT, the safety and well-being of our students, employees, third parties, and visitors are of paramount importance. A safe and secure environment can only be achieved with the cooperation of all members of the college community. FIT maintains a Department of Public Safety to ensure a safe environment for the campus community. Department of Public Safety personnel are not police officers and are not empowered as such. The department’s primary protective means is to restrict campus access and use only to those authorized students, employees, or third parties, or their guests, for reasonable and safe purpose. In addition, FIT upholds the rights of students and employees to be aware of incidents that occur on- or off-campus and the college’s policies and procedures intended to promote efficient and effective response to incidents and crises. While FIT’s Department of Public Safety provides a range of safety and protection services for the entire FIT community, the college encourages all students and employees to be responsible for their own security and the security of others, including through safe and positive bystander intervention.
Who is Affected by this Policy
- The entire FIT community (administrators, faculty, staff and students)
- Third parties
- Responsible Administrator: Treasurer and Vice President for Finance and Administration
- Responsible Office: Department of Public Safety
- Implementation History: Issued August 2008, Last Updated September 2017; Reviewed July 2022, June 2023
- Contact(s): Director of Public Safety and the Department of Public Safety
View Official Policy
SS003, Campus Safety and Security (.pdf)
This PDF document is the official version of this policy.