Amsale Aspire Scholarship
Available to BIPOC high school students regardless of residency. This is a partial
scholarship that covers the cost of one Precollege class (either Live or Workshop),
with the scholarship recipient responsible for the remaining $40 balance. A supply
voucher for $50 is also included in this award. Please submit your application using
the link provided and be sure to email all required support documents, as only complete
applications will be reviewed.
Award recipients will be notified by email and at that time asked to select their course of choice and submit their $40 balance through an electronic form. FIT accepts payment via debit or credit card.
- Reimbursements for courses purchased independently are not available through this scholarship opportunity
- Only high school Precollege classes qualify for this award
- Precollege students may only receive only one FIT Scholarship award per semester, whether it is the Nancy Yedlin Scholarship or the Amsale Aspire Scholarship
- Students who fail to attend the first two sessions of their program will forfeit their award
<<<<THIS APPLICATION HAS CLOSED>>>> (STOP, please review the following required documents below)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: January 28, 2021 at 10 am (Closed)
The following support document will be required as part of the application:
- A 200-400 word essay discussing the importance of participating in a Precollege course and its relationship to your college and/or career aspirations. (Please be mindful of grammar and spelling as it will be considered in our decision)
The following required support documents must be sent in ONE email to [email protected] using PDF, Doc, or JPEG formats within 24 hours of submitting the application form. Subject line: First Name Last Name: Amsale Aspire Scholarship Documents
- A copy of your high school transcript
- A recommendation letter from one of your teachers, guidance counselors, or principal describing your dedication and character
- A third-party document indicating your need for financial assistance (Free or reduced lunch form awards can be submitted as proof)
SUPPLY VOUCHER DETAILS:
Awarded students will also receive a $50 Blick vouchers to use towards the cost of supplies. FIT will provide Blick (https://www.dickblick.com/stores/new-york/new-york-city-w-23rd-st/) with the names of the Amsale Aspire Scholarship recipients so they will be ready to assist you.
To use your Blick voucher:
- Visit the Blick Chelsea store, located at 237 W 23rd St, New York, NY 10011. Bring your supply list so the staff can help you shop!
- Order your supplies by email: [email protected] or telephone (212)675-8659.
Please note the following Blick voucher stipulations:
- No balances can be left on the voucher, so please plan to spend it all in one transaction
- Vouchers can only be used at the Blick Chelsea store (237 W 23rd St)
- Items can be picked up or shipped to the student directly (but please leave enough time for shipping)
- Vouchers are assigned to a specific student and are non-transferrable
Amsale Aberra, an African refugee from Ethiopia, parlayed her talent, drive and FIT education into a global fashion brand. She was the first Black female designer admitted to the CFDA and is recognized to be the inventor of the modern wedding dress. Galvanized by her legacy, the company she founded, AMSALE, and FIT partnered to build Amsale Aspire – an initiative dedicated to fighting systemic racism in the fashion industry by creating resilient pathways for Black students to develop transformative entrepreneurial skills that will help them build successful businesses and eminent careers. Amsale Aspire is a core element of FIT’s Social Justice Collaborative