Undergraduate International Applicants
More than 10% of FIT's students come from outside the United States. We are proud to be a diverse institution preparing students for a global economy.
When applying to FIT, here are a few additional items to consider.
If you attended secondary or post-secondary school(s) outside the U.S., you must have your credentials from those schools evaluated by a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services. FIT only accepts evaluations based on official authenticated credentials, as must
be stated on the evaluation report. Evaluations that are provisional, based on scans
or photocopies (without further verification by the evaluator) or otherwise unverified
academic documents, will not be accepted.
To ensure that your evaluation includes all of the information FIT requires, please note:
For secondary education credentials where transfer credit is not expected, please provide a general or document-by document evaluation.
The evaluation must include:
- U.S. equivalency of your credential(s)
- Cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA)
- Copies of all documents, issued in English or translated into English
- The month and year of any diploma awarded
PLEASE NOTE: If all documents are not included in the evaluation, in English, a course-by-course report is required.
For post-secondary education and/or secondary education where transfer credit may be awarded (for example, GCE AS/A levels) and all other
credentials, please provide a course-by-course evaluation. A course-by-course evaluation
must show course title, U.S. credit equivalent, and U.S. grade equivalent.
The evaluation must include:
- U.S. equivalency for each school credential
- Cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) for each school credential
- The month and year of completion for any secondary or post secondary degrees conferred
All schools attended must be listed on the NACES member application.
ATTENTION: FIT requirements may differ from the evaluator’s country-specific requirements. Evaluations constitute non-binding advisory opinions only. Where FIT's assessment of any credential(s) differs from that the evaluator, FIT makes all final determinations regarding course/grade/credit/GPA equivalencies, degree equivalencies, and the award of any transfer credit for coursework completed (as provided in FIT's transfer credit evaluation).
A current TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE score is required. Effective June 2020, we will also accept the Duolingo English Test.
- TOEFL: A minimum TOEFL score of 80 must be met. Please note, FIT only accepts TOEFL iBT® scores from a single test date, not MyBest™ scores. FIT does not accept the TOEFL Essentials test.
- IELTS: A minimum band score of 6.5 in the academic module must be met.
- PTE: A minimum score of 53 must be met.
- Duolingo English Test: A minimum score of 105 must be met.
Your scores must be no more than two years old from the date of anticipated enrollment.
Even if you have completed an English composition course at a college in the United States, you must still take the TOEFL, IELTS, PTE, or Duolingo English Test.
Students who have completed less than four years of English (not ESL) at a U.S. high school are required to take the TOEFL, IELTS, PTE, or Duolingo English Test.
Schedule an Exam or Obtain Score Reports
TOEFL or call (609) 771-7100
Applicants who are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents of the U.S. must provide a permanent home mailing address outside the U.S. Please provide a temporary mailing address where you wish us to mail correspondence. Please indicate whether you are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
If you require F-1 student status to study at FIT, you must submit the International Student Financial Statement (ISFS) (.pdf) after you have been admitted. This is the only document accepted by FIT for issuance of the I-20 Form, Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status, which is needed to apply for an F-1 visa.
FIT does not accept the following forms included in the SUNY application:
- FSA-2 (Autobiographical Essay)
- FSA-3 (English Proficiency Report)
- FSA-4 (Foreign Student Financial Statement)