The Annual Technical Design Senior Capstone Presentations is Today!
Student capstone descriptions can be found here.
Patternmaking: The Next Generation
In today's global economy products are often conceived in one country and produced in another. Technical designers make that happen, making sure a garment has the right size and fit and conforms to industry specs and standards. They are involved in almost every phase of product development: patternmaking, specs, grading, fit, and production. FIT has established a Bachelor of Science program in Technical Design in response to industry demand for qualified professionals who can precisely communicate the details of a garment—across town or across the world.
Starting with just a sketch or a sample, technical designers ensure that all design details are followed. How many buttons? Where are they placed? How wide is the collar? Technical designers must communicate these and many more details to patternmakers and producers overseas. They check pattern specs, review samples for fit, and make sure the garments are produced correctly before approving the final production sample that will be manufactured into the finished product.
- FIT's BS in Technical Design is the first program of its kind in New York City and in the SUNY system.
- Technical design skills are in demand across a range of industries, from apparel manufacturing to accessories to home products.
- This interdisciplinary program gives students an opportunity to develop their creative, technical, and business skills.
In this program, you will:
- gain real-world experience in an internship at a major fashion company, such as Tommy Hilfiger, Kids Headquarters, and Polo Ralph Lauren.
- complete a senior project in which you will develop innovative technical design solutions for specific product lifestyle stages.
- master technologies used for pattern corrections and details.