Hong Kong Polytechnic University
Program Type: Exchange
The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (HKPU), located in Hong Kong, China, evolved from a technical and trade school into one of the most prestigious universities in China with six campuses mainland and over 300 partnerships around the globe. HKPU is ranked 1st in the world for research papers and citation impact in textiles and fashion publications. Hong Kong is often described as “East meets West” due to the colonial influence, which is reflected in its cuisine, local business practices, and thriving film industry.
- Course Information
- Academic Calendar
- Study Visa
- Health & Wellness
- Program Budget
- Application, Instructions and Preparations
Approvals on an ongoing basis until 1-March*: Fall
Approvals on an ongoing basis until 1-October*: Spring
*Early applicants receive preference. Interviews may take place after the application deadline.
- Minimum GPA 3.0
- Matriculation in a Bachelor's degree program
- Fashion Business Management students must obtain academic advisement and approval of the department Chairperson/Advisor. Students may participate in their 5th or 6th semesters.
- Fashion Design students must obtain academic advisement and approval of the department Chairperson/Advisor.
- Specializations: Sportswear (6th or 7th semester), Knitwear or Intimates (6th semester)
- Portfolio Requirement: When preparing for an interview, please make sure to bring
your portfolio that includes your fashion art work and garments you have made. These
should be represented as real garments and NOT just photos of garments.
*For students currently abroad and interviewing over Google Hangouts: Students must email Prof. Gerard Dellova, upload their current work to Google Drive and share it a minimum of 2 days prior to interview.
- Production Management students must obtain academic advisement and Chairperson/Advisor approval. Students may participate during their 6th semester.
A full-time course load at HKPU is at least 12 credit hours and students must take a minimum of half of their courses (at least 6 credits) in the Institute of Textiles & Clothing (ITC) listed under the Faculty of Applied Sciences & Textiles (FAST). Students may take the remainder of their course within any other HKPU school/department.
Fashion Business Management & Production Management Course Information:
Students may take major-area, related-area, and liberal arts courses with the department’s approval of the course equivalent.
Fashion Design Course Information:
Students will take a full course load of approved major area and related area courses that align with their semester of study and have been approved by their department. Liberal arts courses may be added with the department’s approval of the course equivalent.
A detailed Academic Calendar can be viewed on the HKPU website.
Students are generally expected to arrive the weekend before orientation begins.
Students are accommodated in shared rooms at HKPU's Student Residential Hall, a few minutes walking distance from the campus. Students accepted to study at HKPU will be able to apply online for their accommodation.
Students will be required to apply for a Study Visa for the duration of their stay in Hong Kong. Students are encouraged to carefully review the Visa Application Procedure (beginning on page 2) and the Study Visa Requirements. Supporting documentation will be provided after approval.
FIT requires all students to be covered in the U.S. and internationally for the duration of their study abroad program. Two types of coverage are required:
1. FIT requires students to be covered internationally for the duration of their program abroad. This policy is mandatory and cannot be waived.
- Coverage abroad: UHC Study Abroad Insurance
*Students will be automatically enrolled and billed through their MyFIT account before the start of program. More detailed information about coverage and claims processes will be provided post-approval.
2. FIT requires students to be covered in the U.S. for the duration of their program. Students may waive the Haylor insurance using the standard waiver process if they already have a U.S. based insurance policy with equal or better coverage.
- Coverage in the US: Haylor Student Health Insurance
Wellness & Support
HKPU believes a student's physical and emotional well-being are important to succeed and they have a range of student support services available. There is a campus clinic, as well as experienced counselors available on campus. For more details visit the HKPU Student Life website.
A copy of this form may be brought to Financial Aid Services so that a careful review of your program costs may be completed by an assigned financial aid counselor.
See Scholarships & Financial Aid page.