FIT offers an Associate in Applied Science (AAS) degree and a Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) degree in Photography and Related Media.
Practice your craft and complete course assignments in our professionally equipped photography studios, darkrooms, and digital editing labs.
The two-year AAS curriculum builds a foundation of skills needed to create a professional portfolio and begin a career in photography, including:
- analog and digital still photography
- traditional black and white printing
- color theory with regard to photography
- digital post-production image processing and manipulation
Many students go on to the two-year BFA program.
The BFA curriculum, which culminates in a multimedia thesis project, offers more intensive, multidisciplinary classes, focusing on:
- digital still and video image capture
- digital post-production techniques
- digital commercial printing
- digital video production and editing
- an internship at a lifestyle or art magazine, ad agency, or television studio, or with a prestigious photographer
Students may participate in study abroad programs in Italy and Germany or India.
Learn From the Best
Amato is a professor of Photography. He completed an MFA in New Media Art and Performance at Long Island University, Brooklyn Campus. Amato received the American Photographic Artists (APA) Award in the Outstanding Photography Series category for his work The Box.
An expert in photography, Wade is an associate professor and chair of the Photography Department at FIT. She received an MFA at Cornell University, a master’s degree at the University of New Mexico Albuquerque, and a Bachelor of Fine Arts at Iowa State University.
Photography to Save the Oceans
Associate Professor Keith Ellenbogen is conducting research using cutting-edge photography techniques to create immersive installations both in person and virtually.
If you have questions about this program, please reach out.
School of Art and Design
Pomerantz Center, Room D343A