Reporting Suspected Misconduct



When we witness or experience misconduct it can be scary to report it.  At FIT, we want our community to feel comfortable enough to speak up, know they'll be heard, and that appropriate actions will be taken. We seek to promote safety, integrity, and a culture that can help employees report suspected misconduct more easily.  Moreover, we all share a right and responsibility to report observations of misconduct, or concerns about potential misconduct.  

It’s important for employees to speak up about their concerns. The information shared will allow us to address issues on campus before they become problematic, prevent incidents from occurring, and support FIT’s commitment to building a culture of trust and accountability. 

FIT provides multiple ways to share information about suspicious activity or policy violations either confidentially or anonymously.

Talk to Your Supervisor

Contacting your supervisor is often the most efficient way to raise a concern or ask a question.

Report to an FIT Office

Each FIT policy includes specific procedures for reporting violations and lets you know how and where to report concerns. 

Need extra help? Review our Guidance on Reporting Suspected Misconduct to FIT for information about which specific policies address the most common types of concerns.

Use FIT's Reporting System

Report violations of rules, regulations, and policies using a secure hotline or app. Reports can be made anonymously.

See: STOPit - FIT's Reporting System

Reporting FAQs

If you need to report an emergency, call the Office of Public Safety at (212) 217-7777 or dial 911.

Any FIT community member can report a situation or conduct they believe violates a law, regulation, or FIT policy. For bargaining matters, please see “How should I report a grievance” below.  Examples of issues to report include via the channels described above include, but are not limited to:

  • Conduct or Behavior that is misaligned with the Employee Code of Ethical Conduct
  • Conflicts of interest
  • Discrimination/Harassment
  • Fraud/Theft
  • Title IX/Sexual Misconduct

Remember, the resources on this page are not intended for reporting real-time emergencies, threats, or crimes. If you need to report a real-time emergency, threat, or crime, contact the Department of Public Safety at (212) 217-7777 or dial 911.

Concerns related to collective bargaining should be reported directly to the UCE, located in the Business and Liberal Arts Center, room B-902. They may also be contacted by phone at (212) 217-3650.

Reporting your concerns directly to your supervisor, human resources, or other college administrator is always encouraged. However, the college acknowledges there may be circumstances where this is not seen as a viable option for the reporter. FIT’s online reporting system should be used in these circumstances. Reports may be made anonymously if the reporter chooses.

Employees who report potential or actual violations, or participate in any investigation, will not be discharged, demoted, suspended, threatened, harassed, discriminated against, bullied, or endure any other retaliation, because of making a good faith report or for participating in any investigation.

If you believe you are experiencing retaliation as a result of a good-faith report, or participation in an investigation, you should report it using the above resources. 

Retaliation and FIT’s position on non-retaliation are defined in the following policies: Employee Code of Ethical Conduct; Sexual Misconduct Response; Nondiscrimination and Anti-harassment; Whistleblower.

FIT makes every effort to resolve student complaints internally, using the policies and procedures outlined in the online College Policy Library. The Student Complaint Resolution page contains a comprehensive list of contacts and procedures to help students understand where to report concerns about various policy violations and from what areas to seek support. 

If you are a contractor/vendor and want to report misconduct, please do so via our secure reporting hotline at (646) 760-2110.