At FIT, we believe that all of us have an obligation to our community of campus, New York City, and the world. Civic engagement at FIT is the commitment of students, faculty, and staff to be actively involved with their local communities beyond campus. Through civic engagement, the FIT community applies their interests, skills, and knowledge to benefit and learn with the local community through direct service, service learning, community-based research, and other reciprocal community partnerships. Political or apolitical, civic engagement is about being informed and engaged in the relevant issues of society. Civic engagement embodies the spirit of living out cultural, social, religious, and ethical values in service to others in our community, especially New York City.
Student Volunteer Community Services (SVCS) enhances our greatest natural resource: volunteers. As a recipient of the President's Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll, SVCS offers interested students an opportunity to provide assistance to the fashion industry, community, and the greater society in which we live. Clubs, independent students, faculty, and staff are welcome to tap into the information available regarding local organizations who are requesting volunteers.
SVCS sponsors a Volunteer Expo each fall to introduce interested volunteers to agencies in need of their services. The Children's Hope Foundation, United Cerebral Palsy Foundation, 7th on Sixth Productions, CFDA fashion shows, and Toys for Tots are just a few of the volunteer opportunities available.
In order to volunteer, you must do the following:
- Fill out the online SVCS volunteer application;
- Be an FIT Student;
- Be present when signing up for volunteer opportunities (you cannot sign up for a friend) only one volunteer opportunity per person;
- Always use your FIT email when communicating/applying with SVCS office for your volunteer events;
- You will need your FIT ID & printed class schedule (mon-sat format) for expo, your schedule must have your FIT ID number visible;
- You cannot skip class to participate for a volunteer opportunity, NO EXCEPTIONS;
- Visit the Department of Student Life on the 7th floor of the Dubinsky Student Center, A713 and check the bulletin boards around campus, contact [email protected], Volunteer Coordinator for more information.
After filling out the online application, you will automatically be placed in an email group, where you will receive volunteer opportunities as they become available.
New York Fashion Week
Typically, Student Life sponsors Fashion Week sign-ups at the start of each semester, where students can volunteer to assist at New York Fashion Week shows. However, to ensure a safe and successful return to campus this fall; The Department of Student Life is unable to sponsor any events that occur outside of FIT's campus. Unfortunately, this includes volunteer opportunities. Therefore, Fashion Week sign-ups will not be taking place this semester.
We look forward to being able to connect our students with engaging service opportunities again soon! Please let us know if you have any other questions or need additional information.