Visit the Library
The Library expects to be closed to outside researchers (including alumni) through the 2022/2023 academic year (until May 2023). Current SUNY students, staff, and faculty may access the Library. Members of the SUNY community must present a current SUNY ID to the Public Safety officer in the Goodman lobby to visit the Library.
Special Collections and College Archives (SPARC) on-site research appointments for outside researchers are limited. Please see SPARC's Visit page for details about possible remote research appointments.
The information below is retained here to reflect our policies during normal operations; we look forward to the time when we can resume these services.
The primary purpose of the FIT Library is to support the teaching, learning, research, and study needs of members of the FIT college community. If you are a visitor (including FIT alumni/former students), you must request an advance appointment to use the FIT Library.
Current FIT & SUNY students, faculty, and staff do not require appointments, but must present a currently valid FIT or SUNY photo ID card to be admitted to the building.
All potential FIT Library visitors must use our online research appointment request form. We do not accept appointment requests by phone or email. Potential visitors to SPARC or Historical Forecast Archives (which have different visitor requirements) should see the information below.
Before requesting an appointment, please refer to FIT's Library Visitors policy for detailed information on library access and use, required identification, appointment guidelines and procedures.
The FIT Library is not accepting visitor appointment requests until further notice.
- Always check the calendar (FIT Library Visitor Hours) on this page before submitting
a request to see if the Library will be open the day(s) you are requesting.
- As of March 12, 2020, The FIT Library is not accepting visitor appointment requests until further notice.
- Visitor hours are more limited than general library hours; check the calendar for
details for each day.
- Different floors/units of the library may have different operating hours; please see day-by-day calendar listings or contact us if you need details.
- Please allow at least 24 hours to receive a response to your request. Requests submitted when the library is closed will take longer.
- We do not make same-day appointments.
- Appointments will be considered as submitted the following day if they don't meet
these deadlines (subject to change without notice due to holidays, special events
- Please note that appointments submitted late in the day, even if they meet these deadlines, may not be approved for a next day appointment. You should still allow up to 24 hours to receive a response.
- Undergraduate and graduate students at other local or regional colleges and universities (except SUNY) should contact librarians at their own institution first. A METRO (Metropolitan New York Library Council) referral card from your school's librarian may be required in addition to requesting an appointment.
- When filling out your appointment request, be specific about what you'd like to see or use at the library. Your request may be denied or delayed if you are not specific.
- There is a limit of 20 items per person, per visit, of materials from behind the FIT Library Periodicals Desk. This does not affect self-service materials on open shelves, such as look books and bound issues of Vogue and Harper's Bazaar.
- If you need to change or cancel your appointment, please contact us by email at [email protected] or call the Research Services Desk at (212) 217-4400.
- If you miss your appointment, you will need to submit a new Research Appointment Request. Please include a note mentioning your original appointment.
More important-to-know information can be found in our Visit the Library FAQ.
Contacts for More Information
- Research & Instructional Services, (212) 217-4400
(for questions about library materials and/or using the FIT Library)
- Special Collections & College Archives (SPARC) has its own requirements and procedures for visiting.
- Historical Forecast Archive