Cut to a great career
Study in New York City, a world capital of film and media. This program blends the hands-on practical skills of filmmaking with film history, theory, and criticism, providing a broad perspective on the moving image in all its aspects. Students explore the city's rich cultural and educational resources, including film series, festivals, museums, and art-house theaters.
You'll study film genres, major directors, avant-garde film, and world cinema, from China, Italy, Latin America, and Russia and the Soviet Union. This interdisciplinary program lets you take your studies further with courses in storyboarding, character development, costume, fandom in the internet age, and gaming. New York's array of studios, television networks, and agencies provides a variety of internship opportunities.
You'll begin making films right from the start, mastering film and video production and developing visual storytelling skills for fiction and documentary films. For your final project, you will make a film, to be screened at an FIT film festival. You'll graduate prepared for careers in a wide range of fields, including digital and new media, advertising and marketing, journalism, and the arts.
- FIT's New York City location puts you in a global media hub.
- FIT is part of the State University of New York, offering programs that are both excellent and affordable.
- Specializations within the major provide in-depth study in areas such as storyboarding and character design, film history, and national cinema.
- Extensive networking opportunities enable you to connect with industry.
In this program, you will:
- learn nuts-and-bolts filmmaking, including screenwriting, cinematography, sound, lighting, editing, and animation.
- explore the media landscape from broadcast television to YouTube and Twitter to whatever is coming next.
- create a demo reel that highlights your technical skills and creative vision.
- study with outstanding faculty from the School of Art and Design and the School of Liberal Arts.