The Orientation presentation lasts about 40 minutes and includes an additional 20 minute question and answer period. After the presentation parents and students are encouraged to explore the campus and obtain FIT ID cards. FIT will not be able to provide a make-up orientation therefore, your child should follow the instructions for the first day of class. Orientation highlights are posted below. Directions to FIT
Attend Orientation before the start of your program
Choose from the following dates (no RSVP needed):
Spring Orientation for Live Students
Date: Saturday, February 22, 2020
Welcome Session begins at 11:15 am
Location: John E. Reeves Great Hall, 28th Street just off of 7th Ave, Conference Center entrance.
Spring Orientation for Workshop Students
Date: Saturday, April 4, 2020
Welcome Session begins at 1:45 p.m.
What To Bring
Please bring your completed Information and Consent Form and your printed Schedule of Classes. If you are unable to print at home, we will direct you to our office in SR-10 prior to the event to obtain print-outs there.
NOTE: Orientation Days are the only days that parents and other guests are permitted on the upper floors of the campus. If you wish to visit the school and view your child's classroom, you may do so only on Orientation Days. You may visit the campus any other time, but you will only have access to the campus lobbies and first-floor offices.
At this session families will learn about:
- Rules and policies of the program (calling in sick, earning grades, leaving early, security protocol, etc)
- Classroom assignments
- Navigating the campus (with your family)
- Making changes to your schedule (pending course availability)
- Our surrounding neighborhood
- Meeting other Precollege students from your area
- Obtaining your Security ID card (required only for the 10 or 11-day Live Program students)
WHAT IF I AM UNABLE TO ATTEND ORIENTATION?
- To avoid a stressful first day, we recommend that new students rehearse their commute to FIT to familiarize themselves with the commute time, our neighborhood and lunch and coffee spots near our campus on any day before the start of your class.
- REMINDER: No student can attend Precollege Programs without a signed Precollege Consent Form (download here) for the current semester (we do not keep them on file from previous semesters).
- Our office will email you the Orientation video after the first Orientation session for the semester, please make sure you watch it.
- ID Card Information:
- Returning students do not need to get new ID cards, they will be issued an updated sticker in their first class.
- New, 10 or 11-day Live Program students only: you must get an FIT ID card before the start of classes. To obtain an FIT ID card, bring a copy of your schedule to the Public Safety Office located in D-404. Please make arrangements with Public Safety to obtain an FIT photo identification card before the first day of class (212 217.4999) to enter the building on Opening Day. More about FIT Identification Cards
- Workshop students do not get a photo ID card. They will be given a special ID at check-in on Opening Day.