Recently Admitted Grad Students



The School of Graduate Studies looks forward to welcoming you to campus this fall! You will need to complete a few important steps to secure your place in our entering class and to prepare for enrollment.

Please review the checklist below and contact the individual departments for additional information or assistance.

To secure your place in the School of Graduate Studies, please complete and return the form below to the Office of the Bursar with your non-refundable $250 tuition deposit within two weeks of the date posted on your offer letter. 

As a result of the COVID-19 developments, tuition deposit forms will be accepted when emailed directly to [email protected]. Please do not email forms to Graduate Admissions.

Click Here to Access the Graduate Tuition Deposit Form

If indicated in your offer letter, submit your official undergraduate transcript with proof of degree conferral no later than August 1.

Students admitted to graduate programs at FIT are required to hold a four-year bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in the United States or an equivalent degree from a foreign country. If the Office of Graduate Admissions does not have your official, sealed transcript(s) with the degree awarded on file, please contact the appropriate college or university to request that they send a copy of your official, sealed transcript(s) to: 

School of Graduate Studies
Fashion Institute of Technology
227 West 27th Street, Room E316
New York, New York 10010

  • If your institution has a process for emailing electronic transcripts (such as services available through eSCRIP-SAFE, Parchment, or National Student Clearinghouse), you may submit it/them to [email protected].
  • Official academic transcripts must be original documents bearing the institutional seal and signature of the institution's registrar.
  • We do not accept copies, opened or unsealed envelopes, unofficial printouts, or facsimiles as official transcripts.
  • World Education Services course-by-course evaluation reports that include official documents sent directly by the institution are acceptable only if they include all final grades and proof of degree conferral. If your evaluation notes that you have not yet earned your undergraduate degree, you are required to request official academic transcripts and proof of degree conferral bearing the institutional seal and signature of the institution's registrar. 
  • If you are completing your final term of your undergraduate degree, please do not send transcripts until your degree conferral has been posted to the transcript.
  • If you are a graduate of FIT, please contact [email protected] so that we can request your official transcript on your behalf.
  • All transcripts submitted are considered property of FIT. They will not be returned to you, transferred, or forwarded to other individuals, departments or institutions.
  • It is imperative that application materials be sent to the Office of Graduate Admissions. Under no circumstances will application Materials sent to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions be retrieved.

All important messages from the college will be sent exclusively to your my FIT portal and FIT Gmail account which can be accessed by activating your MyFIT account.  Here you will be able to view your financial aid award and receive important emails regarding registration, immunization, and international student services (if applicable).

  • To log in: Visit MyFIT and enter the following information.

    FIT Username: Noted in offer letter.
    Password: "FIT" + your birthday in this format FITMmmDDYYYY, i.e., FITJan012011.

    Please note that your password is case-sensitive.

  • For instructions on signing into your FIT email account: How Do I Sign Into My FIT Gmail Account

See: International Student Services (ISS) 

Admitted international students wishing to secure an I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) status) or to transfer F-1 status to FIT must complete and submit the International Student Financial Statement (ISFS).

Note: This can only take place after the $250 tuition deposit has been processed.

FIT will issue an I-20 within five working days after you have completed the ISFS, submitted the necessary documentation, and your $250 tuition deposit has been processed.

If you do not require an I-20, you must complete the waiver section on page 4 of the ISFS.

In order to apply for an F-1 visa from a U.S. Consulate, you must provide the following:

  • evidence of your ability to finance your studies
  • a copy of the offer of admission letter
  • a receipt for the $250 tuition deposit
  • a receipt showing payment of the $200 SEVIS fee
  • a valid passport

All international students must attend new student orientation in order to comply with federal regulations requiring check-in at the International Student Services Office within 30 days of enrolling. 

See: Health Services

All students registered for six or more credit hours per semester must complete the health history and immunization forms by August 1. Access to the health portal is only granted after you register for courses.

If you will be under 18 years of age when you enroll at FIT, your parent/guardian must submit the Medical Consent Form which is available on the Health Services website

FIT has a mandatory student health insurance policy for any student enrolled full-time or taking 12 or more credit hours. The college’s student insurance plan is brokered by Haylor, Freyer & Coon. You will be charged each semester for coverage unless you have an equivalent or better policy.

All full-time students with 12 credits or more are automatically enrolled and billed for the student health insurance. You may waive coverage by completing the waiver form online via the Health Services website. Waivers must be submitted prior to the start of each fall semester. 

Regardless of the source of your health insurance, FIT charges a separate and mandatory health service fee, which provides you with access to the school's health services on campus.

While few graduate students elect to live in the undergraduate dorms, the Residential Life Office will process graduate dormitory requests after undergraduate requests have been filled.

If you are interested in housing, please contact Residential Life at (212) 217-3900 or [email protected].

See: Office of the Bursar - Tuition

Tuition and fees are billed to student accounts each semester in advance of the due date.

The Bursar's Office will send you an email notification when your invoice can be viewed and you can submit payment in the MyFIT portal, by choosing "e-Bill and Payment Suite." 

See: Office of the Bursar - Residency

New York State residents are charged a different tuition rate than out-of-state students.

Your residency status is based on the information included in your application for admission. To qualify as a New York State resident, you must have established legal residence by maintaining a domicile in New York State for a period of at least one year preceding the date of the start of the semester.

International students with F and J Visas/Status are not eligible for the in-state tuition rate.  

Dean's Fellowships

Four graduate fellowships are available to newly-admitted and current master’s students in good standing in the School of Graduate Studies.

Designed to provide graduate students with research experience and funding support, the Dean’s Fellowship is a one-year renewable award of $6,000 and is applied over two semesters. Fellowship applications will be sent to all eligible students.

More information can be found on the Dean's Graduate Fellowship page.

Financial Aid

FIT, like most colleges and universities, uses a common application process the Free Application for Federal Student Financial Aid (FAFSA). Students must reapply each academic year to establish eligibility and for consideration for awards. Graduate or professional students may be eligible to receive aid from the following federal student aid programs:

Once you have reached your annual Direct Stafford Loan limit, there are two additional types of education loans from which to choose:

  • Federal PLUS Loan (for parents of dependent undergraduate students or graduate students)
  • Alternative/Private Student Loan (usually available to students or parents)

All loan types are credit-based and must be approved.

To be eligible for financial aid, students must be admitted in a degree granting program, be a U.S. Citizen or permanent resident of the US, and continue to meet Federal financial aid Satisfactory Academic Progress guidelines.  Only courses toward the degree requirements are counted as enrollment for financial aid purposes. If studying for a minor, only those courses that fulfill a degree requirement are eligible for financial aid.

Full-Time Students (enrolled in 12 or more credits)
To be considered for financial aid, all new and continuing students must be matriculated and enrolled in courses in their degree program. Some financial aid programs are limited to full-time students only.

Part-Time Students (less than 12 credits)
To be considered for financial aid, part-time students must be matriculated and enrolled in courses in their degree  program. Most financial aid programs require enrollment in at least 6 credits in a degree granting program to be eligible.

Please visit Financial Aid - Educational Loans for more information.

International Students

International students are not eligible for financial assistance from FIT. International students may borrow under the Alternative Loan Program. Most lenders will require an eligible (credit worthy) co-signer that is a U.S. citizen.

Other helpful sources for International Students:

Additional Information

  • Be sure to check your FIT student email frequently for important information from the school.
  • Your academic program will contact you to discuss orientation, onboarding, and other new student details.
  • If you need disability accommodations, you are encouraged to register with Disability Support Services (FIT-ABLE)

Contact Us

If you have any questions, please contact [email protected] or your department chair.