Other Libraries You Can Use
FIT Students and Employees
If the FIT Library does not have the book, DVD, or magazine/journal/newspaper that you need, you may want to try to find it in another library. But don't assume that we don't have what you need—it might be available here in a different format (e.g. in print instead of online, or vice versa).
- Ask us (at the Research Services desk or through our Ask the Library service online) to help you verify that the item isn't at FIT, and to suggest other libraries that might best serve your needs.
- You can also use our Interlibrary Loan service to request that materials from other libraries be sent to FIT Library.
The Library expects to be closed to outside researchers (including alumni) through the remainder of the academic year 2021–2022 (through August 2022). You can use the information here to determine if the information you want is available to you—for free and on a walk-in-basis—at another library. Please contact these libraries directly to ask about access.
Check the catalogs of:
- New York Public Library
- Metropolitan Museum of Art libraries
- WorldCat (listings of library materials nationwide)
Also check database listings of these libraries for online versions of some materials e.g. NYPL's fashion-related list, including Harper's Bazaar Archive (remote access with NYPL card) and Vogue Archive (onsite at NYPL only]
New York City is served by three public library systems: The New York Public Library (NYPL), Brooklyn Public Library (BPL), and Queens Library (QL). Each system is separate—you need to get a different card to use each one in person or its online services—but all are free to anyone who lives, works, goes to school, or pays property taxes in New York State. You may apply for and get cards for all three systems.
Each library card/account typically allows you to use online databases from that Library's system, borrow books from any of the three systems (registering your account in advance may be required), and reserve books that are in one location to be sent to another location within that same system. See details on each library's site.
The NYPL has specialized research-only locations, as well as the many neighborhood libraries where most items can be borrowed. These library locations may be the most suited for FIT students and others looking for commonly-asked questions we get at the FIT Library.
- The Schwartzman Building: This is the famous building with the huge marble lions at the main entrance.
- Stavros Niarchos Foundation Library (SNFL, formerly Mid-Manhattan): Includes many business resources previously held at the SIBL branch, including resources related to the apparel and garment industries, job hunting resources, and more.
- Muhlenberg: a small branch and the public library closest to FIT.
Note that this location is temporarily closed, from April 2022 through "late 2023"; please check its website for updates.
- Library for the Performing Arts
METRO is a consortium of many academic, museum, research, and special (corporate) libraries in the NYC area. Current FIT students and employees can get passes to visit (not borrow from) these libraries if there are items that are not available at FIT or the NYPL. Ask us for details.
Watson Library at the Metropolitan Museum of Art "serves an international community of researchers" in addition to museum staff. Its strength is art history. Access to the Irene Lewisohn Costume Reference Library is more restricted, but contact each library for details.
Interlibrary loan (ILL) is a service to help you obtain materials that are not available at the FIT Library. You must be a current FIT student or employee, and have a valid FIT ID card and a current FIT email account. Materials already owned by FIT Library (even if they are checked out, on reserve or non-circulating) cannot be ordered through ILL. We are also not able to order textbooks through ILL.
As a current FIT student or employee, you have full access, including borrowing privileges, to all other State University of New York (SUNY) libraries. You must bring your currently valid FIT ID card.