Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Program Type: Exchange
Nottingham Trent University (NTU), located in Nottingham, England, is a large university of 30,000 students. NTU is one of the most sustainable universities in the world, running entirely on renewable resources and granted Fairtrade status. NTU’s School of Art & Design, located on the City Campus in the heart of Nottingham, is one of the world’s leading art and design schools and has been influencing, inspiring and innovating for over 175 years. Nottingham is one of the most popular student cities in the UK, with an award-winning public transportation system connecting students to every manner of entertainment and culture, from sports events to diverse nightlife.
- Course Information
- Academic Calendar
- Study Visa
- Health & Wellness
- Program Budget
- Application, Instructions, and Preparations
Approvals on an ongoing basis until 1-Mar*: Fall
*Early applicants may receive preference.
- Minimum GPA 3.0
- Matriculation in a Bachelor's degree program.
- Fashion Design
- Portfolio: Students must submit a portfolio to the department in addition to the online application.
- Students must obtain advisement and academic approval from the department advisor.
- Knitwear students may participate in their 7th semester.
- Graphic Design
- Portfolio: Students must submit a portfolio with 12 pieces of recent work to the department in addition to the online application.
- Students must obtain academic approval from the department advisor.
- Students may participate in their 7th semester.
A full-time semester credit load at Nottingham Trent University (NTU) consists of 60 UK credits. Major and related area credit is available. Liberal arts credit is not available, but students may take liberal arts and other courses online at FIT at no additional expense as this is an exchange program.
Fashion Design (Knitwear) Course Information:
Students study within the BA (Hons) Fashion Knitwear Design and Knitted Textiles program at NTU and fulfill 7th semester major and related area courses by taking a module worth 40 UK credits in Year 2 of the program.
Graphic Design Course Information:
Students must also take GD 491 - Senior Thesis Research (3 Credits) online at FIT while abroad at no additional expense.
A detailed Academic Calendar can be viewed on the NTU website.
Students are generally expected to arrive the weekend before orientation begins.
Students are responsible for making their own accommodation arrangements for the duration of their stay. Students may apply to live in campus accommodation (not guaranteed) or search for a privately-rented home, or opt for a homestay with a local family with support from NTU’s Student Accommodation Services.
US citizens do not need to apply for a visa in advance of arrival. Upon entering the UK with proper documentation, US citizens are granted short-term study clearance by the border officer. All non-US citizens must carefully review UK visa requirements as they may need to apply in advance for a short-term study visa. Supporting documentation will be provided after admission.
FIT requires all students to be covered in the U.S. and internationally for the duration of their study abroad program. Two types of coverage are required:
1. FIT requires students to be covered abroad for the duration of their program. This policy is mandatory, therefore students cannot waive it.
- Coverage abroad: UHC Study Abroad Insurance
*Students will be enrolled and account will be billed before start of program. More detailed information about coverage and claims processes will be provided post-approval.
2. FIT requires students to be covered in the U.S. for the duration of their program. Students may waive the Haylor insurance using the standard waiver process if they already have a U.S. based insurance policy with equal or better coverage.
- Coverage in the US: Haylor Student Health Insurance
Wellness & Support
NTU believes it's important to look after your physical and mental heath to get the most out of your time there. The Student Support Team can offer support, help and advice.
NTU is firmly committed to sustaining a highly effective learning and working environment characterised by fairness, equality of opportunity and the valuing of diversity. The Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Team aims to embed equality and inclusivity throughout the organisation, enabling the University to excel in equality, dignity and diversity practice.
A copy of this form may be brought to Financial Aid Services so that a careful review of your program costs may be completed by an assigned financial aid counselor.
See the Scholarships & Financial Aid page.