American University of Paris
Program Type: Semester Study Abroad
The American University of Paris (AUP), centrally located in the seventh arrondissement of Paris, France, is a successful experiment in international, interdisciplinary education—and the oldest American higher education institution in Europe. AUP believes that everyone is, at some point, a foreigner and promotes the theme of global citizenship with a culture of community engagement. Located a 15-minute walk from the Eiffel Tower, the campus is practically on the Seine River, close to les Invalides, the Champs-Élysées, Musée Rodin, and the Jardin des Tuileries.
Fall semester: approvals on an ongoing basis until February 15
Spring semester: approvals on an ongoing basis until September 15
- Minimum GPA 3.0
- Matriculation in a Bachelor's degree program
- Advertising and Marketing Communications students must obtain academic advisement and the approval of the department chair. AMC students may participate in their 6th or 7th semester.
- Art History and Museum Professions students must obtain academic advisement and approval of the department chair/advisor. AHMP students may participate in their 6th semester.
- Entrepreneurship students must obtain academic advisement and the approval of the department chair.
- Fashion Business Management students must obtain academic advisement and the approval of the department advisor. FBM students may participate in their 5th or 6th semester.
- Film and Media students must obtain academic advisement and the approval of the department chair. FI students may participate in their 5th or 6th semester.
- International Trade and Marketing students must obtain academic advisement and the approval of the department chair. Students should be in contact with Christine Pomeranz, department chair, prior to submitting an application regarding program choice. ITM students may participate during their 6th or 7th semester.
Students will take four AUP courses for the equivalent of 12 FIT credits in order to be full-time. Additional courses will incur further tuition costs. Since AUP is not an exchange program, any online FIT courses will be charged at the applicable per-credit hour tuition rate, in addition to the AUP tuition. AUP offers a wide range of liberal arts courses.
See: AUP Course Catalog (search by term for accurate listing)
Advertising and Marketing Communications / Art History and Museum Professions / Fashion Business Management Course Information
Students may take major-area, related-area, and liberal arts courses with the department’s approval of the course equivalent.
Film and Media Course Information
Students may take major-area, related-area, and liberal arts courses with the department’s approval of the course equivalent. The FI department will evaluate the students preparedness for Third-Year Production courses prior to approving their application to study abroad. Some courses may only be offered in particular terms at AUP (for example, the equivalent of FI 321 may only be offered in Spring at AUP). For this reason, it is particularly important for FI majors to plan early.
International Trade and Marketing Course Information
ITM students may only take liberal arts courses abroad and they should be discussed in advance with the ITM department chair prior to having the Dean of Liberal Arts approve the course equivalents.
A detailed Academic Calendar can be viewed on the AUP website. Students are generally expected to arrive the weekend before orientation begins.
Students are able to choose from AUP-approved housing options, though there are some exceptions for independent housing (see below). AUP does not provide on-campus housing; however, they can assist students in securing private student housing off-campus (now includes various providers, residence halls, or homestay options). Further details will be provided to students as part of their AUP application process after being approved by FIT.
*Possible exceptions: you are a student over the age of 23, you have already been living in Paris or intend to live with a Parisian family member, or you require a single-person occupancy apartment for medical reasons.
N.B. AUP requires their visiting students to live with other AUP students.
Students will be required to apply for a Long-Stay French Visa for the duration of their stay in France. Students are encouraged to carefully review the visa requirements. Supporting documentation will be provided after approval.
Health and Wellness
FIT requires all students to be covered in the U.S. and internationally for the duration of their study abroad program. Two types of coverage are required:
1. FIT requires students to be covered abroad for the duration of their program. International Insurance is mandatory and students cannot waive it, however students going to AUP have a choice between two plans. Unless you let OIP know that you prefer the AUP plan, you will automatically enrolled in the FIT UHC Study Abroad Insurance (which is half the price).
- UHC Study Abroad Insurance (plan used for all other FIT programs). Students will be enrolled
and their account will be billed before start of program. More detailed information
about coverage and claims processes will be provided post-approval;
- AUP Health Plan with MSH International Study Abroad Insurance. This would be charged to your AUP Student Account along with the mandatory Orientation fee.
2. FIT requires students to be covered in the U.S. for the duration of their program. Students may waive the Haylor insurance using the standard waiver process if they already have a U.S. based insurance policy with equal or better coverage.
- Coverage in the U.S.: Haylor Health Insurance
Wellness & Support
As AUP's Student Life Office site puts it, "New school, new city, new language, new apartment: we know that while this is exciting, it can also be intimidating...We see you and we’ve got you."
See: AUP Services
A copy of this form may be brought to Financial Aid Services so that a careful review of your program costs may be completed by an assigned financial aid counselor.
Please note that there are specific scholarships for students participating in this program. Please see the link above for more details.
Application, Instructions, and Preparations
See: How to Apply