Overview for Developing New Academic Programs and Credit Certificates
The following actions are expected of department chairs pursuing a new degree program or credit certificate.
- Chair discusses proposal with the School Dean.
- The Dean meets with the Vice President for Academic Affairs to review proposal and identify how it aligns with the strategic plan for the department/school, and how the proposed program/certificate will be supported.
- The Dean signals to the Chair to continue development of proposal, if contingent approval is given.
- Dean and Chair review the outline of steps and appropriate application.
- Chair downloads the appropriate Approval to Proceed application.
- VPAA and Dean notify VP's of intention and Chair and Dean work with VP's to develop the approval to proceed application.
- Chairs and Deans write first draft of application. This will require collaboration with Vice Presidents of pertinent units (e.g. Finance and Administration, CER, Strategic Planning, IT).
- First draft is reviewed by Vice Presidents.
- Dean and Chair draft final iteration of application incorporating VP feedback.
- Dean and Chair present final iteration to VPAA in advance of President's review.
- Copies are shared with Academic Affairs.
- If approved by the President, the proposal is voted on by the Board of Trustees.
Contact Assistant Dean for Curriculum Deborah Klesenski at x74045 for assistance.