User Experience Design Certificate
A career accelerator for creative professionals
UXD 001: TBD
Time: Every Monday and Thursday, 6:30pm to 8:30pm EDT
Online Platform: Webex
Through the introduction of UX design workflow, research methodologies, ideation process as well as hands-on development of wireframe, interaction design, prototyping, and usability testing, our goal is to provide you with a well-rounded education in UX design that will foster career growth. Gain a portfolio-building UX design project as well as a clear understanding of UX design principles and processes, which will enable you to continue developing your portfolio after you complete the program.
This certificate is tailored for creative professionals who are looking to advance their career in the exciting field of UX design.
This is a Synchronous and Collaborative Remote Experiential Learning™ (SCREL™) certificate. Unlike traditional distance and online learning models, SCREL enables real-time interactions between faculty, industry professionals. In addition, our intimate maximum class size of 14 students will enable in-depth discussions and exchange of ideas to maximize your learning experience and results.
- Proficiency in design software such as Adobe Creative Suite
- Knowledge of design fundamentals such as typography and layout
- High-speed internet connection
- Design-grade laptop or desktop computer that is capable of running the latest browser and streaming media
- Built-in or external webcam and speakers
*If you think you are eligible for the 10% Alumni Discount, please complete the Alumni Verification Form prior to registration in order to receive your discount code.
Learn How To
- Think about design
- Utilize the UX working environment, workflow, and research methodologies
- Do competitive and comparative analysis
- Conduct and compile empathy interviews
- Visualize the customer journey
- Create personas, scenarios, sitemaps, wireframes, and wireflows
- Make low-fidelity and high-fidelity prototypes
- Apply usability testing methodologies
- Build microinteractions and UX design
- Use fundamental UI design principles
- Prepare a UX portfolio
- Classes taught by top industry experts
- Certificate helps you prepare a high quality UX design portfolio
- The focus is helping you transition into a UX design career
- Team-teaching methodology maximizes your learn outcomes
- Onsite workshop provides immersive learning experience at NYC design firms
- Curriculum Designed by FIT's Creative Technology & Design Program
- Certification from a world-renowned college
Meet Your Instructors
Founder / Creative Director, Cynda Media Lab; and Curriculum Chair, Creative Technology & Design, FIT
C.J. Yeh is a world-renowned expert in branding and experience design. Yeh has published eight books to date, several of which have been adopted by universities in Taiwan as textbooks. His work has been exhibited at some of the most famous museums in the world including MAXXI Museum (Rome), the Museum of Contemporary Art (Taipei), and New Museum (New York). Yeh has won multiple teaching awards including the FIT President’s Award for Faculty Excellence, the SUNY Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Teaching, and the Adobe Educators’ Choice Awards.
Partner & Design Director, Cynda Media Lab; and Faculty and Coordinator, Creative Technology & Design, FIT
Christie Shin has more than 25 years of professional experience as an educator, creative consultant, and design director specializing in branding, typography, UX/UI design, and product design. Shin is one of the most award-winning designers receiving over 30 international design awards since 2012. Currently, Shin is an associate professor at FIT, where she was awarded the 2017 FIT Faculty Excellence Award.
Frontend Developer at In-telligent
Katie Jordan is a full-stack designer with a wide range of skills ranging from graphic design, illustration, UX design, UI design, and front-end development. Katie's recent experience including working in the tech industry with start-ups such as Funnel and In-telligent to create innovative products for real estate and telecommunication.
UX Designer at NBCUniversal
Anders is a UX designer with a focus on product research, strategy, and ideation. Skilled at all stages of the UX design funnel–from defining a problem space to feature prioritization, from wireframing to design systems–Anders loves creating meaningful, delightful product experiences anchored in user empathy. With a PhD in cultural anthropology, Anders is currently a UX designer at NBCUniversal.
Synchronous and Collaborative Remote Experiential Learning
FIT’s SCREL programs were developed by award-winning faculty members from FIT’s Creative Technology & Design (CT&D) subject area and Center for Continuing and Professional Studies (CCPS). It provides a hands-on learning experience that simulates the workflow of online collaboration and global teamwork, which is becoming a standard in the contemporary creative industry.
Synchronous: Real-time remote lectures, demonstrations, and discussions for instant feedback and dynamic exchange of ideas.
Collaborative: Adaptation of industry-standard tools that enable real-time online collaboration and teamwork.
Experiential: Hands-on experiential and project-based learning in which students actively explore real-world problems and challenges and acquire a deeper understanding of the subject.
- Program Introduction
- UX Design Creative Process Overview
- The principles of user-centered design
- Iterative design process: definition, research, interpretation, idea generation, prototyping, and evaluation
- UX Design Research Methodologies
- Target segmentation
- Initial hypothesis and point of view
- Primary research vs secondary research
- Methodologies: survey, interview, focus group, contextual inquiry, culture probe, social listening, and keyword research
- Competitive and Comparative Analysis
- UX Design Documents and Deliverables
- User Story
- Empathy Map
- User Journey
- Prototyping Process and Techniques
- Discovery and Testing Methodologies
- Low-fidelity Prototypes
- High-fidelity Prototypes
- Production Workflow & Tools of the Trade
- User Interface (UI) Design Fundamentals
- Intro to human interface design guideline
- Color strategy for digital product design
- Screen-based Typography Basics
- UX Portfolio Preparation
Center for Continuing and Professional Studies (CCPS)
FIT's CCPS offers credit and noncredit certificates and courses in fashion, business, design, technology, and marketing, to help you enter into or advance your career in the fashion and related industries. With short programs and flexible schedules, you can learn at a time and pace you can manage and afford.
Creative Technology & Design (CT&D)
The CT&D program area was founded with a mission to elevate students’ understanding of advanced design concepts as well as their command of cutting-edge technology, CT&D at FIT provides a flexible curriculum and an empowering transdisciplinary learning environment. Our pedagogical goal is to nurture the next generation of creative technologists who will design digital products, platforms, and creative solutions that improve people’s lives.
CT&D Advisory Board
C.J. Yeh, Program Director, Founder / Creative Director, Cynda Media Lab
Christie Shin, Program Coordinator, Partner / Design Director, Cynda Media Lab
Paul Kim, Vice President of Strategy, North America HQ at Samsung Electronics
Allison Ceraso, President and Chief Experience Officer, Havas Health Plus
Marcin Ramocki, Chairman, MFA in Media Arts, New Jersey City University
Akiko Rokube, Creative Director, PwC Experience Center
Jennifer Bruno, Director of Product, Fusion Media Group
Ben Morejon, Creative Director, Anomaly
Emily Frost, Manager of Brand Creative, Faherty Brand