Q. What is FIT Alert?
FIT Alert is FIT's emergency alert system. The system is used by the college to send emergency and safety information and protective action messages to students and employees in order to enhance security, to protect lives and well-being, protect assets, and minimize campus disruption.
Q. What type of emergency/safety information will be broadcast?
Alert notifications may pertain to events in the categories identified below as well as other life threatening situations. The system may also be used to send "all clear" and/or follow-up messages at the end of an event; additional instructions regarding the event may also be sent. It will not be used to send general notifications of campus non-emergency events or activities.
- Bomb threat - based on intelligence that indicates the threat is credible.
- Civil disturbance - large group disrupting normal campus activities.
- Fire - large-scale fire in building(s), the local community, or industry, or wildfire, that endangers campus.
- Hazardous material - dangerous material, chemical, biological, nuclear spreading from a contained area.
- Major road-closing/incident - unanticipated event that would disrupt safe passage to and from campus.
- Medical emergency - pandemic or event with mass casualties.
- Personal safety - situations that include use of weapons, violence, perpetrator at large, active shooter, hostage situation, or missing person. Any situation on or off campus that, in the judgment authorized campus personnel constitutes an ongoing or continuing threat to persons or property.
- Suspicious package - reasonable belief that a package may contain a chemical, biological, or nuclear substance that might cause harm to persons or property.
- Utility failure - a major disruption or damage to utilities including gas, electrical, or water.
- Weather - severe weather conditions, including flooding, snow/ice/cold, thunderstorm, wind, tornado, or hurricane.
Q. Will I automatically be enrolled in FIT Alert?
Yes. Your name and FIT email address will be automatically uploaded from your employee or student records. Employees will also have their office extension automatically uploaded. This information cannot be removed or updated in FIT Alert.
Q. Will FIT Alert replace other means of communication that the college uses to notify the campus community of emergency information?
No. FIT Alert will supplement other means, which include email, social media, the FIT website, television, posters, and the college’s emergency phone line (212 217.7792)
Q. What if I don't answer the phone when an emergency notification is sent out?
If you have voicemail, the message will be left in your voicemail box.
Q. How do I access my FIT Alert information?
If you are a student or employee of FIT, you can sign in to FIT Alert through MyFIT. Log on and select the FIT Alert tab, then follow the directions there.
Q. How do I update my information?
You can go into MyFIT and update the information as often as needed. The latest information will override any previous information. However, please be as accurate as possible. View the step-by-step instructions.
Q. Does it matter how many phones and in what order I enter them when I sign up?
No. You can add up to three telephone numbers, one personal email address, and one number for text messages. They can be your local, work, home, cell, or any other number. The system will contact you in the priority order that you set.
Q. If I no longer work at or attend FIT, will I get removed from the system?
Yes. The system updates weekly. When individuals are no longer employed and students are no longer enrolled at the college, they will be automatically removed from the system.
Q. Can I opt out of FIT Alert as a student or employee?
No, you will still receive notifications if you have an FIT email address and office extension.
Q. Can I add what I want to be informed about in My Alert Subscriptions?
No, this feature is not available at this time.
Q. Will it cost me anything to participate in FIT Alert?
No. FIT Alert is a free service to the community.